cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Issues with new G55

_p
Level 7
I had got a new G55VW and I found that the battery wasn't charging.
I find that the laptop works fine without the battery (on AC power supply).
Its just that the battery does not charge at all. It starts to charge and within seconds it stops.
I have seen that the wear is 2.2% and Voltage at 14.4. So battery seems all right.
I have tried the following steps (as suggested on alternate posts),

1.) Remove Battery.
2.) Keep Power Button Pressed for 30 seconds.
3.) Replace Battery and power on.

If this is not a known issue then I'm better off returning it and getting a replacement.
Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

Zygomorphic
Level 17
What is the battery charger percentage? ASUS uses "smart" batteries that only charge if the percentage is below ~95%. Run it on battery down to 75% and see if it charges. If it doesn't return it and get a new one, something is wrong.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

It discharged to 26% and never charged from there. I let it drain completely and it didn't start to charge after either.

dstrakele
Level 14
You've confirmed the laptop is defective. Take it back to the retailer and exchange it for a new one.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
You've confirmed the laptop is defective. Take it back to the retailer and exchange it for a new one.

No, he's confirmed that there's an issue with charging the battery. He hasn't confirmed whether the issue is with the battery, AC adapter, or motherboard. He has cast significant doubt on it being the AC adapter, but not ruled it out entirely.

Without testing with a known good battery and AC adapter, both are still suspect.

dstrakele
Level 14
He's determined a hardware problem exists with this new laptop, right out of the box. It's unimportant where the problem lies. No further work is needed to exchange it for a new laptop without issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
He's determined a hardware problem exists in this laptop. It's unimportant where the problem lies. No further work is needed to exchange it for a new laptop without issues.

None of that is in question, but you made an overly broad and generalized comment that the laptop was defective. It could be the battery or AC adapter, both of which are accessories, not the laptop. We do not know yet where exactly the problem is. If the OP wants to swap the entire unit out, that's between them and the retailer, but if they want to keep the laptop if it's just the battery or AC adapter that's bad, that is also an option if the retailer is amenable.

cl-scott wrote:
None of that is in question, but you made an overly broad and generalized comment that the laptop was defective. It could be the battery or AC adapter, both of which are accessories, not the laptop.

You purchase it all together ... it "is" the laptop ... he is correct.

Not many retailers if any want to deal with one piece at a time ... and it puts anyone who starts mixing stuff from the time of the original purchase with some pieces/parts from a retailer at some other time into a bad position.

Not very good advice in my opinion.

john_from_ohio wrote:
You purchase it all together ... it "is" the laptop ... he is correct.

Not many retailers if any want to deal with one piece at a time ... and it puts anyone who starts mixing stuff from the time of the original purchase with some pieces/parts from a retailer at some other time into a bad position.

Not very good advice in my opinion.

If I buy a printer I usually get ink/toner with it. Now let's say I get a printer that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time and the ink is dried out. Is my printer defective? No, but that is effectively what you are arguing. I could put in a new ink cart and the printer works just fine. Now if we were dealing with a unit where the battery wasn't user replaceable, then sure, you could make that argument and be on significantly more solid ground.

And all I said was if the retailer was amenable to the idea of just swapping out the battery or AC adapter (assuming one of those were the source of the problem). They may well stock just batteries and just AC adapters, and are willing to pull one off the shelf and give it to the customer. It's at the discretion of the retailer if they want to do this or insist on replacing the entire unit. I certainly don't see the harm in the OP at least ASKING. What's the worst that can happen? The retailer says no, and they end up going the whole unit replacement route.

I would say that the retailer asking is perfectly fair. They can deal with the battery vendor - provided that the battery is a brand-new official battery for the computer - not a 3rd party compatible one.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23