cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D for the G75, is it woth it?

Ninja_Sub
Level 7
So I know the G75 screen is 3D ready so i assume all you have to do is buy the NVidia 3D thing with the active goggles and transmitter. So here is the thing, I think 3D movies are stupid. When you come to me with some Star Trek style holographic setup fine but not the current 3D. So the only reason I would be interested in 3D would be for games. I know several titles lately have come out that have 3D elements, but do you think this is a fad or that it would be worth investing in the goggles and stuff at some point. Oh great forum I leave myself at your mercies.
6 REPLIES 6

bignazpwns
Level 11
Yes and no. When running 3D your FPS are 1/2 of what they would be non #D so you take a hug performance hit. Some things will pop out of the screen quite a bit but for the most part its just adding depth. Now the first #D vision glasses made the screen very very dark. The new ones are better but still makes it a little darker then normal.

Now playing games many people will get very bad headaches and some people become more aggressive with the use of active shutter. glasses. I have 3D on my laptop and my desktop and i rarely use it now. It was fun at first and really cool but i just don't feel like using it most of the time.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Ninja_Sub wrote:
So I know the G75 screen is 3D ready so i assume all you have to do is buy the NVidia 3D thing with the active goggles and transmitter.

Not so ... depends on the screen you have.

If you really have a 3d capable screen you should have the goggles.

The machine is 3d capable and if you hook it up to a real 3d external display properly then it can work like that.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Please note this stickied thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21507-Clarification-3D-Capable-versus-3D-Ready&country=&sta...

If your laptop model number DOESN'T have 3D in it, you do not have a 3D ready device.

This means you will need to purchase a 3D Monitor and the correct 3D kit.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

mrwolf
Level 10
Yea, the '3D ready' on does not have a 3d monitor.. It has a basic 60hz screen..

In my personal opinion the Full 3D version is much better. Not only because of 3D, sure its good for watching 3D blurays ( real IMAX feeling ) Also with games its pretty darn good, but you might have to turn a few graphics settings down or keep the Ultra settings but reduce resolution to 720p.

However, the real reason for it being better is the fact that the monitor is 120hz. Most people say that yours eyes cant tell the diff as long as you are above 30fps. This is not completely true. If anything drops under 30 you experience lag, but 120hz is just on another level. Every movement feels more fluid even with basic stuff like moving windows around on the desktop. Also when you have 120hz to utilize and set it as your refresh rate, when you play games you dont need v-sync or triple buffering to keep the frames from tearing because the fps will never really go over 120hz :))

As you can see in my signature, I have two G75s - one with a 3D screen and one without.

I have showed them to several people (with both notebooks in regular 2D mode) side-by-side and we have all agreed that the 3D screen is definitely better. The 3D screen is just more crisp with better color depth. I would like to point out that I was actually happy with the non-3D screen that I had before I got my 3D model, it is still a really nice screen if you like the matte finish like I do.

As far as 3D mode goes, I have watched a few 3D blu-rays and I tried it with Skyrim for a few hours. The movies were outstanding. When watching the beginning of Rio, the part where the bird flies into the camera lens and splats I actually jumped!

Skyrim on the other hand, isn't that spectacular. The screen is quite dark, and it just doesn't pop like the movies do. I actually prefer to play Skyrim in 2D mode. Still though, I think Skyrim looks better on the 3D screen in 2D mode than it looks on the regular 2D screen.

-Kevin

To make games gfx "pop" out, one has to adjust the settings.
Usualy the default settings are quiet unspectacular, but dont hurt the eyes so much. He he he

There are 2 settings to adjust.
One is about the strengh of the 3D effect. With low settings it apears that there is only like 30cm space behind the screen. With high settings, you get a feel of hundred of meters but your eyes tire faster and you might not be able to get a clear vision of objects very close to the "camera".

A second setting is about, what distance is the screen. Say, you play WOW, then you might fly on your dragon and adjust that setting until the tail of the dragon comes 20cm or so out of the screen. With default settings, nothing is "out of the screen" btw. You need to adjust it.

But here aswell: So more the stuff comes out of the screen so more your eyes will hurt. Thats why default settings are usually eye friendly but unspectacular.

My personal experience with the 3D:

It was very cool the first days. I tried games, movies and even started to produce my own 3D Fotos, by combining 2 shoots of my camera to a JPS (3D JPG).

But honestly, I havnt used the 3D glasses for some time now. It somewhat anoyes me that you only have 50% of the FPS, wich usualy means, you need to turn down settings and trade 3D effect for less detailed images.

Also, I feel a slight flicker effect, wich is also kind of anoying after the awe about the 3D starts to fade.