cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D screen not being dectected as one, Internally what effects 3D?

DLea
Level 7
I recently bought a replacement screen for my laptop, after it's been cracked for over 6 months. When I go to NVIDIA control panel the "stereoscopic" option does not show. Yes it's being read as 120hz, and I verified the part # and it is HD-3D. Here comes the kicker, when I plug in a external monitor such as my TV threw HDMI or CRT monitor threw VGA (both devices only being 60hz refresh rate) and set them as primary, the option of stereoscopic shows up!

My guess it's something internally, perhaps its something loose or damaged, but what can effect the computer for not detecting the screen as 3D ready. So I'm looking for ideas or similar problems so we can track this and help us all out together for the past, present, and future people who run into this situation.

Things I've tried:
1) I installed the old cracked screen that I played 3D on numerous of times and it did the same thing with it as well
2) reinstalled different versions of NVIDIA drivers in safe mode, didn't work
3) Run stereoscopic setup menu while 60hz was set as primary, disconnect it and setup automatically shut down
4) Run stereoscopic setup menu while 60hz was set as primary, connect ir emitter, then upon choosing glasses, only discovery (red,blue) showed and 3D display not found.
5) Reinstalled windows 7, 2 times, and did a fresh install of all drivers.

One thing I've learned, whenever I did the fresh install of windows and installed the original Physx and graphics from ASUS website, the 3D button worked on the laptop shortcut key, but after updating to the newer NVIDIA driver, it stopped working. Obviously that may have nothing to do with the screen but I see some people ask about that problem, so threw my efforts I hope that may help you other individuals out.
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model G51JX-3D
System type 64-bit operating system
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
DirectX version DirectX 10
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
3 REPLIES 3

DLea
Level 7
So I tried to trick my graphics card but changing the INF file on the display driver by updating the driver to a different 3d monitor..... it didn't work.... But it did work on the external monitors both tv and crt. Even though they are not 120hz, I had them set as 120hz.

So question now is, how come the laptop display is still not being recognized whenever I did the exact samething thing with the other files and same inf.

The only differences between them now seem to be the connections it seems.. correct me if I'm wrong
Model G51JX-3D
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

I think I'm just talking to myself now lol. But I'm at least keeping people updated don't feel shy to join in.

I think it may be a hardware related problem. As I open the hardware manager, my screens always show as generic plug n play. Doesn't matter if it's the laptop screen, CRT, or TV. Their all PNP, is that normal? I thought it should at least come back to some information.
Model G51JX-3D
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

DLea wrote:
I think I'm just talking to myself now lol. But I'm at least keeping people updated don't feel shy to join in.

No, you're not. Most ROG earthlings are just too preoccupied with their gadgets,
they wouldn't like to be bothered with an issue such as yours..;)

I think it may be a hardware related problem. As I open the hardware manager, my screens always show as generic plug n play. Doesn't matter if it's the laptop screen, CRT, or TV. Their all PNP, is that normal? I thought it should at least come back to some information.

It's normal, methinks. Even my G74 says so.. But when I searched my laptop screen's hardware ID,
it says it is a Philips LG.. (Is Philips LG also a Generic PNP?:confused:)

Since you found out your laptop's 3D Mode is okay with an external display, I'm assuming the problem
has to be on the IR emitter's connection to the motherboard.
ASUS G74SX-3DE