ROG Enthusiast Array

Question about the "Input Lag" phenomenon

Hi!
    I have a question about the input lag (rubber band) effects. Some people told me, that its a general problems of Laptops, rarely experienced on desktop?

I myself experienced it in WOW, with my G50, my G73 and now with my G75 aswell.
    In some cases you have FPS at about 50 and stutter-free movement of GFX, but your camera lags compared to your mouse in a way absolutely unplayable.

WOW has a checkbox to remove this effect, wich indeed helps, but doesnt remove it completely. Also, it reduces that lag, but also drops the FPS.

The main reason, why you CANT play WOW at "Ultra" Settungs is not the FPS, but the input lag you experience.

Resolution seems to have a minor effect in it (no difference in 800x600 compared to 1920x1080).
    But shadow has. Also this new shading effect from the latest addon. Reflections do too. Antialiasing aswell but Texture filtering does not.

And as a general rule: Forrest = evil.
    So more plants are on the ground, grass and bushes, so more bad input lag.

At the moment, I play at "High", not "Ultra" and completely switched off Antialiasing and play with about 60-70 FPS. Inputlag is existing, but is tolerable.

"Ultra" in forrest scenarios makes my FPS to be at 35, with inputlag not bearable.

So, what exactly causes this effect (inside the range of "playable" FPS. As I said, i even experienced it with 50 FPS. And is there any strategy one can do to prevent it, except playing at lower settings?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

You are not still running mcaffee are you? I think a lot of people fixed lag problems by ditching that product.

How about using a direct wired connection ( ethernet ) versus a wifi signal ... does that make a difference for you?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I am using Norton 360.

I am playing at 2 sites:
    1. at home, 1Mbit DSL line, connected by WLAN.
    2. at University, 100MBit Line, connected by wire.

It does not make any difference for the Input Lag. Wich is not a network problem. I know the same effect from Offline-Games.

What I am talking about is an effect that, if you move your camera to the right or left, the game reacts with a feelable delay (but maybe as small as small as 0,1 seconds), wich feels like moving your arm while under water.

If its really bad, you are basicy able to shake the camera that fast to the right and to the left, that the camera still moves right while your mouse is already moving it left and by this showing the effect of delay between UI input and GFX output.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanty View Post
    I am using Norton 360.

I am playing at 2 sites:
    1. at home, 1Mbit DSL line, connected by WLAN.
    2. at University, 100MBit Line, connected by wire.

It does not make any difference for the Input Lag. Wich is not a network problem. I know the same effect from Offline-Games.

What I am talking about is an effect that, if you move your camera to the right or left, the game reacts with a feelable delay (but maybe as small as small as 0,1 seconds), wich feels like moving your arm while under water.

If its really bad, you are basicy able to shake the camera that fast to the right and to the left, that the camera still moves right while your mouse is already moving it left and by this showing the effect of delay between UI input and GFX output.

I'm aware of the issue that you have. What confuses me is why you'd have it on 3 different generations of hardware