cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-code 55 - ¨memory not installed¨

XIRO
Level 7
I bought a ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME V, an Intel Core i7-3770K and memory modules Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - 16GB - (4x4GB) - 2133 [CMZ16GX3M4A2133C11B]. The problem is that the system does not start, and the Q-LED shows the code "55" whenever I tried all combinations of the four modules in the memory slots, but there is no way to start, does not even start BIOS. The q-code 55 means "memory not installed", but I tried all options, 4 GB, 8, 12, 16, DIMM A_1 / A_2 / B_1 / B_2 and nothing, always the same. I wonder if anyone has any idea why I did not detect the memory modules, even when installed. SYSTEM: Corsair H100 - 2x GIGABYTE GTX 460 SOC 1 GDDR5 - 2 x COOLER MASTER 600W. Please ask for help, I invested a lot of money and I can not make it work.Sorry for my English.
32 REPLIES 32

feniks
Level 11
Xiro,

First, on shutdown system (power unplugged), wait 30 seconds and then press and hold the CMOS Reset button at the back of board (rear I/O panel), hold it for at least 30 seconds, then release.

Second, try running only 1 stick at a time in the red slot closest to CPU (considered primary). see if you can make it boot this way, try each of sticks alone this way actually. they all should cause no trouble alone or in pairs (stick to red slots for now).
4 stick can cause trouble when trying to run XMP profile, but still they should still boot at default BIOS settings (1333MHz with loose timings).

If you find a single stick which is a problem then you may need to RMA the whole memory kit or get a different one and return this one to store.

Once you can make it boot, press F1 to clear CMOS checksum error, go to BIOS, press F5 to Load Optimized Defaults, then F10 to save & reset and go from there.
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SUKARA
Level 10
so....if still can't solved this problem, you can plan to repair this motherboard..
or try to contact asus sevice center to check how do you sent this motherboard to repair?

asus service center detail information reference to you
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

8_Pack
Level 12
Firstly strip the system down. Check the CPU socket for bent pins. One pin out of line can mean 55, Battery out for 20 mins. Replace CPU and CPU cooler make sure you dont overtigthen the cooler if you warp the board this causes error 55. Battery back in. CMOS resset button for slow count of 10.

Now try booting the board with one VGA, one stick of RAM (Socket furthest from CPU), All power connections made and keyboard and mouse attached nothing else. Make sure when you add the single RAM stick you listen for two distinct clicks and place the RAM in parallel to the board.

If you still get 55 try with some totally different DDR3 again one stick. Post back how this goes.

feniks
Level 11
so the red slot furthest from CPU is the primary one on this board? always though it's red one closer to CPU, at least on evga boards hehe.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue with my new Maximus IV Extreme....error code 55. I have swapped out 3 sets of memory to test as well.

Have you come to the conclusion that your MB is bad?

feniks
Level 11
just to make sure, have you guys tried doing a full CMOS reset with the 3.3V battery out? have you tried using a secondary BIOS (if you have it)?

if all components are new then POST code 55 (Memory not installed) may mean 2 things, CPU problem or MB problem, given the memory sticks themselves are ruled out already (more than 1 compatible mem kit tested).

please remove it from socket and check for bent pins in it, then reseat it carefully making sure to properly tighten the hold down clamp and NOT to overtighten the cooler by too much (some strong ones can warp the board).

My rig with pictures

Hi,

I take the Maximus Formula V with Corsaire Vengeance 4 x 8 Go DDR3 PC3-10700 CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 but on the mother card only Dimm Slot B1 and B2 recognise the memory.

When I want to use A1 and A2 Dimm slot I have this Qcode 55...

I've tried to ClrCmos, to update bios, to GoButton,to check Cpu socket pins but all ok, to put only one in the A2 first but don't work.

Only on the Dimm Slot B1 and B2.

I don't know what to do ??...

For information my configuration : Intel Core i7 3770K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - SSD M4-CT512M4SSD1 500 Go SATA III - Ventirad Watercooling Corsair H100 Hydro Series

Bump

Any solutions?
I am having an error 55 as well with same memory (4sticks) and gene v
The only difference is if when I reset, it will boot normally without error
Does voltage need to be added to get the mobo to recognize the 4 sticks rather than 2?

Just done a major upgrade, ASUS Maximus V Formula MOBO. GSkill 4x4 Memory Kit. If memory sticks are installed in slots 1 and 2 all is good, if memory is installed in 3 and 4 CODE 55 shows up. Ive checked the memory by swapping the ones from slots 3 and 4 into slots 1 & 2 and they also work perfectly. If you try to install just 2 in a dual channel configuration in like colored slots (1 & 3 ) CODE 55 is shown. Ive Updated BIOS, manually set voltage to 1.65v per GSKILL specs, tried the memory test but, done resets, but nothing seems to enable the 3rd and 4th slots.

Im kind of thinking that the power isnt reaching these suspect channels. Does anyone know what power connectors from the PSU actually supply the MOBO power for the memory channels ?

I would be most thankful if some of you veteran ASUS MaX V Formula Board Users can lend some assistance !!

THANKS !