cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 touchscreen

Salmiery
Level 7
Hi everyone,

With the windows 8 RTM out - having gotten to use it with a touchscreen makes a world of a difference.

I would love to take advantage of the free copy of windows 8 but I would love to install a touchscreen with multi touch

Has anyone tried this? If so what did product did you use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Brett
10 REPLIES 10

c_man
Level 11

cl-scott
Level 12
At least in my opinion, the idea of a touch screen laptop or even all-in-one sounds great at first blush, but then when you stop to think about it for a couple of minutes, you run into what I've seen others dub the "Gorilla Arm" issue. Maybe with something like the transformer, or the old early tablet systems where the display could twist and lay flat along the back/bottom of the unit, but the traditional clamshell design I just couldn't ever see myself using with a touchscreen.

ggBanks
Level 10
I personally don't think its possible on these gaming laptops, but if it was possible it would have to be some custom craft-work and it will cost a lot. Secondly, where would you rest your hands? Immagine hanging your hands in upright position trying to type a 2 or 3 line sentence without having the chance to rest them on any kind of surface. It is tedious and tiring for your hands. I just don't think it is worth the money and time to do it.

bignazpwns
Level 11
Yes you can but you will need to do some modding. the interface is easily handled by a usb converter and you will be hooking that upto a usb port "Rendering it useless" But you would need to do all this work inside the pc so its pretty complex. Your going to pay around $250 to put finger prints on your screen. gaming and touch screens do not mix since you wil see greasy finger prints all over.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
I think the future of ASUS touch screen laptops depends on how well the Taichi sells
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

I would still utilize the keyboard and mouse, obviously. But being able to use the metro interface the way it was meant to be used would be very nice.. I feel like if you get a touchscreen it's going to have a surface that is able to be cleaned, so fingerprints won't be an issue if you keep it clean. I've looked around, no one seems to offer an out of the box conversion kit.. So obviously would have to be a mod.. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer that sells high quality, high resolution, bright touchscreens? I don't mind rendering a USB port useless for this feature.

Salmiery wrote:
I would still utilize the keyboard and mouse, obviously. But being able to use the metro interface the way it was meant to be used would be very nice.. I feel like if you get a touchscreen it's going to have a surface that is able to be cleaned, so fingerprints won't be an issue if you keep it clean. I've looked around, no one seems to offer an out of the box conversion kit.. So obviously would have to be a mod.. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer that sells high quality, high resolution, bright touchscreens? I don't mind rendering a USB port useless for this feature.

No because you need a way to interface the touch commands from the digitizer and unless your system came with a touch screen the only way to do this is to wireup a usb touchscreen interface dongle in your laptop and that will require a usb port or the use of the mini pcie.

The metro interface was never meant for pc's. Its for phones and tablets where you don't have a mouse and keybored.

But yes touchscreens can be cleaned but they scratch really easy. You would need a glass cover like the Dell XPS's that use the corning glass.

Now another thing about touch screens are how many point they are. Some phones are 3 point and the droid razr is 10 point. I seen some laptop lc'ds that were touch screen only 2 point and a few that were only 1 point meaning they can only take a input from one point at a time.

Touch screen pc's have been around for a long time. They will still be around but will never take off to the point of they will be used in most systems. Windows 8 cant push them because windows 8 is pretty much the new windows me. I used windows 8 on laptops and desktops as well as touch screen all in ones and i can tell you that i was disappointed and i have the cheap upgrade for windows 8 pro and i wont use it i'll sit ithis one out and see what windows 9 offers like i did for windows ME and Vista.

Forgottenbhs
Level 7
It would be cool to have custom hinges that would make the screen come up and sit just over the keyboard at an angle for the touchscreen. It would also add extra support for the screen since the hinges on the G series are not that sturdy, go ahead and touch the screen as you would a tablet and you'll see that it moves a LOT.
Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Forgottenbhs wrote:
It would be cool to have custom hinges that would make the screen come up and sit just over the keyboard at an angle for the touchscreen. It would also add extra support for the screen since the hinges on the G series are not that sturdy, go ahead and touch the screen as you would a tablet and you'll see that it moves a LOT.

I believe "HP" has a model that will do all that.

But really guys, if you want a "Touchscreen" get a Tablet PC!!!!!
The 'G" series are made for "hard core gaming", you are not going to be playing "Fruit Ninja" on the G75vw are you?
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"