cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx black screen

oldbluetoyota
Level 7
Long story made short.
I've been fighting a black screen issue with my g74sx. I'm running windows 7 and I let it do it's own updates. I get the black screen just befor It gets to the windows log-on screen. Instead of displaying this I get the black screen. If I hook up a tv (to the hmdi) i can log in. I read all the post and i've done the battery and start button thing. While I was doing the take it apart and inspect it routine I found the the cables going to the lcd look like they have been pinched. I have an rma to send it in, should I tell them about the pinched cables. Does me opening the case void the warrenty? I've read about other peoples problems with sending in laptops to asus and not getting them actually fixed, so I would like to help the tech and guide him to the pinched cables, but I dont want to pay for a manufacturing defect. Does anyone have and words of wisdom for me on this?
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
I recommend telling them the results of your testing - i.e. the video issue does not appear on an HDTV connected to the laptop. This points to a bad LVDS cable connection, bad LVDS cable, or defective laptop display.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Ok, thanks I'll try to put something in the PDF file, that I need to return to them, that sends them looking for an hardware issue.

cl-scott
Level 12
If it were a pinched cable, then you wouldn't be getting ANY video, it wouldn't be just that you lose video once Windows starts loading.

This sounds like a software issue, such as the internal display being set to a resolution not supported by the panel. HOWEVER, when I do stop and think about it, I ran into something like this once in my hardware monkey days, and it was ultimately a bad GPU. This was one of the infamous GeForce 8600s though, but the symptoms were pretty similar. Things worked fine until the OS loaded.

That being said, if you plan to send it in, then the more evidence you can provide the better. If you can make a quick video with a cell phone or something and then burn that to a CD and include it with the system, do that. I hate to have to say this next part, but make sure it's in a format like WMV so that the repair tech doesn't need to go hunting for codecs. You basically have to remember that repair techs are often very busy, and so they can't always spend as much time as they might like on any given unit. The more evidence you can provide to back up your assertion that the problem is X, the better. They will have to duplicate it themselves, but if you can provide a compelling argument, it shouldn't be hard for them to do.

dstrakele
Level 14
Booting from a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would be a good test to determine if it is a Windows software problem.

dstrakele wrote:
Booting from a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would be a good test to determine if it is a Windows software problem.

Excellent point, and such discs have several other useful diagnostic functions that may come in handy at some later date, so it's never a bad thing to have around.

cl-scott wrote:
Excellent point, and such discs have several other useful diagnostic functions that may come in handy at some later date, so it's never a bad thing to have around.

Have always kept my DVD drive in my G74 loaded with Hiren's Boot CD (ver. 14) when I'm not using the drive for other discs. As well as a plethora of diagnostics, utilities and rescue items, it has a live distro of linux on it too that you can boot into; for e.g. to run gparted and repartition your HDDs....Go get it.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Arvizu360
Level 7
I was getting the same problems black screen before log on screen for around 30 40 seconds.. my only fix is to unistall all the nvidia drivers then install the nvidia drivers that come with your asus CD and dont ever upgrade. I belive the drivers are 268.37. I know it sucks that we spend $1,500 dlls in a "gaming laptop" that cant even upgrade nvidia drivers.

dstrakele
Level 14
There's a black screen involved, but you've got a different issue, @Arvizu. Folks with this "boot to black screen" issue don't get video after 30-40 seconds. The screen remains black.