cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD upgrade question G75

Santek
Level 7
I recently bought a g75 and i want to upgrade my HDD. It came with a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSH. Can i upgrade with another 750GB SSH? If not can i at least upgrade with a normal 750 HDD??
8 REPLIES 8

rewben
Level 13
yes you can do all that with your free slot.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Santek wrote:
I recently bought a g75 and i want to upgrade my HDD. It came with a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSH. Can i upgrade with another 750GB SSH? If not can i at least upgrade with a normal 750 HDD??

Put in an SSD as your primary drive the improvement will be ... substantial!

ggBanks
Level 10
Second that! Nowadays SSDs have become faster and at lower costs, so if you are willing to give a bit more green for your powerhouse, I'd suggest you buy an SSD. It will amaze you how fast it is! That is of course if you do not care much about space, but since you already have a 750GB HDD that shouldn't be a problem 🙂

Actually I am more interested in storage capacity than speed so i guess i'll just buy another Seagate Momentus XT as i am pretty pleased with the speed it offers:D

Santek wrote:
Actually I am more interested in storage capacity than speed so i guess i'll just buy another Seagate Momentus XT as i am pretty pleased with the speed it offers:D

Understand your point exactly...1 SSH (500 GB), and one 640 GB HDD that came with my G53. Speed enough for me, and the capacity is mandatory.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

scrufy
Level 7
All of what they said ^^ with one exception:
Wait for a couple weeks till the Samsung 840 Pro SSD is available. It is already reviewed out there and faster than anything else.
Comes in at least 256 and 512.
If you really cant wait go for the Corsair m4.

edit:
I missed your reply about storage vs speed - but I left my reply in for anyone reading to know Samsungs new drive is coming out within the month.. and no I dont work for Samsung, just tired of getting drives with compatibility issues, no TRIM support, etc...

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Santek wrote:

Just go with the SSD upgrade, and use the stock drive as a 'Data drive"

Best buy has the "intel 520 series 180GB Drive" for $200 US .
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Woots
Level 11
If capacity is madatory buy USB 3.0 2-3TB external drives... and use a SSD on atleast your primary drive internally (space is always madatory over speed, but the overall performance gains warrant the sacrifice for 1 internal slot.. especially considering there are things like external drives).

I carry around a 2TB and a 3TB WD external drive in my laptop bag.... having 5TB + internal space is way more than I need on the go.. hell I literally have my whole Steam game collection backed up on that 2TB drive. For video work I use the roomy internal drive for peformance gains... off storage and random access stuff (like itunes kinda stuff) is ideal for external drives.

Just my 2 cents.

$100-$180 for a good SSD

$100+ for a roomy quick external drive

You get best of both worlds.
PC Setup:
Battlestation Setup: