left over from previous box:
- Radeon HD5770 1G gddr5 PCIe
- MSTech 750w PSU

Put that all in my new NZXT Phtantom Big Tower

Build process can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4515462845452.182223.1257128347&type=3

When booting this happened:

- fans spin up
- code goes through several states but stops at: 14, 20, F2 (which is recovery mode?)
- everything stops.
- no beeps, no post to screen
- everything tries to boot again,
- same results (ie: repeat above).

I tried:
- removing everything but CPU/RAM/Video :same result
- removed the video : same result
- turned all pcie-switches on board to 'disabled' : same result
- removed all the RAM : board stops and complains about no ram
- plug in single ram : same as before removing the RAM
- swap RAM, swap lane : same again, same
- tried different PSU : same again
- clear-CMOS by button : same again
- clear CMOS by switch : same again
- tried flashing Bios by ROG connect : nothing happens, not the flashing next to bios nothing : same results

some notes:
I can't seem to flash the bios, as nothing happens when I plug in USB and press the appropriate button. According to some posts I've read the led next to the bios should start flashing, but that isn't the case.
switching bios makes no difference.

At this point I'm starting to suspect the CPU, but considering the boards behavior when it encountered no ram, I'd expect it to warn me about this. I also thought it'd be the PSU, but that works in another box I got there (my son's petnium 4 box).

I'm currently pretty much out of ideas and since the board doesn't seem to give me any info as to what could be broken (if anything) but a generic message I'm pretty much stuck 😐

Can anyone here help me get this along? Been saving up for this for over fourt months and really REALLY need to get my gaming fix soon before I turn into a front-page spread about random shooting in public area's... 😜
Help would be more then greatly appreciated.. really..

Patrick 'Multifarious' Kanne

oh, and my build experience is medior.. been upgrading PC's for over 20 years, this is my first intel build since... about ten years.. something..
7 REPLIES 7

Multifarious
Level 7
Just read through this whole thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18296-Maximus-Iv-extreme-z-post-error-F2-2E

seems like there are still some things I can do to test. I am left with why won't the bios update work as prescribed? No flashing led, no discernable anything? According to various threads it could be the current bios doesn't support my CPU, but if I can't flash it, I'm stuck..
Or should I buy another cpu, install that, flash bios, re-install core i7? This I'm NOT looking forward to..

najirion
Level 7
I think you need to update bios first before the board can recognize your ivy processor.
Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

I just noticed I renamed the rom to:
M4EZ.ROM
Is that right for my board? Because of the 'z' in there and me not having the extreme-z variant?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

it boots, it works, I'm in the windows setup screens... Apparently it even recognizes the 16GB ram without fail.. I'm falling in love again.. 😉

Thanks very VERY much!!!

And since this'll be my first real overclocking adventure... see you soon 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool beans! Yeah, let us know how you get on 🙂

chrsplmr
Level 18
Arne+

This this thread ... yep ... That's how its done.Cudos.c.