Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help OC 3930K to 4.6-4.7

Gottex
Level 9
Hi guys,
Its my very first post and thread 😛
It's been 3 days only since I've finished building my rig. Many people and guides say, that 3930K is easy to OC, guess it's not in my case or may be, like we say in Russia "your hands are meant to grow from shoulders, but not from the a$$" that's might be more about me as some say 😉

I try to reach 4.6-4.7
There won't be any problem with heat, the whole system is under "heavy custom" water cooling. I've tried many settings from my friends that have the same MB and CPU, but no luck. I must say that the forum member Dartmaul was helping me a lot, but even he was kinda surprised with problems I had.

So what I managed so far is:
tried to apply this settings from Dartmaul , no luck !!! couldn't even boot, never ending MB restart with 5A, 01, 03 errors on MB display.

I can easily boot on defaults (TURBO off) with 3.2 CPU and 1333 MEM. Every time when I choose XMP profile or set MEM settings manually (2133, timings, voltage), I got never ending MB reboot with 5A error. Only once there was a luck, when PC boots for the very first time, I went to bios, set 48 turbo ratio by all cores, xmp profile, vcore 1.44 and got to desktop, ran LinX - BSOD after first stress test, then reboot, set VCCA and VTT 1.1 (read a lot in DEGRADATION topic here), reboot, tried to run Prime95 - BSOD. After all that operations I can't boot to Win with 2133 on MEM. Maybe I set smth wrong, maybe it's my MEM, but right now, I'm running Prime95 for 1 hour, everything on defaults except CPU VCORE 1.42 and TURBO RATIO 47 per all cores, but MEM is on 1333 and other settings on AUTO
Very appreciate for your help in advance. I'm ready for any thoughts and suggestions that might give me rock stable rig on 4.6-4.7 Ghz
CPU: 3960X(C2)@4.8GHz (Offset +0.045, LLC-medium), HT-on, 24/7
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (bios 4206)
GPU: GTX580 3-Way SLI@900/1800/2100 1.100v.
RAM: 16Gb G.SKILL RipjawsZ 2133Mhz 9-11-10-28(2T) 1.65v
SSD1: 128Gb SSD OCZ Vertex 4
SSD2: 512Gb SSD OCZ Vertex 4
HDD: 2Tb WD Caviar Black
PSU: Lepa G1600-MA 1600W
Case: Danger Dan Black Series - LDR Tower 29 - Double Wide
Cool: Water
Monitor: Dell 3007WFP-HC
99 REPLIES 99

cx-ray
Level 12
I'm not sure how else to respond other than pointing out the obvious. If you want a good overclock, you have to put in the hard work. Learn all the specs, max voltages, and how components may effect each other. Start out with a modest overclock, each component individually one at a time. Carefully increase frequencies with associated voltages as they past testing.

I also recommend installing a clean OS on a single drive with write caching turned off. Image it so you can restore quickly in case of corruption.

lenehan
Level 10
What bios version are you currently running in your system. Please also list your hardware list here for further advice from fellow members. Cheers.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

lenehan wrote:
What bios version are you currently running in your system. Please also list your hardware list here for further advice from fellow members. Cheers.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K(C2)@3.2GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (BIOS 2105)
Video: TRI-SLI MSI N580GTX-M2D15D5
Memory:16Gb (4x4Gb) 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT 9-11-10-27 CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
SSD1: 128Gb SSD OCZ Vertex 4 Series (VTX4-25SAT3-128G)
SSD2: 512Gb SSD OCZ Vertex 4 Series (VTX4-25SAT3-512G)
HDD1: 2Tb SATA-III Western Digital Caviar Black (WD2002FAEX)
PSU: Lepa G1600-MA 1600W 80+ Gold certified (MDPC custom sleeving)
Case: Danger Dan Black Series - LDR Tower 29 - Double Wide (Custom Ultra Thin Flexible Fan Dust Filter Material - Bulk (0.17mm Thick))
Monitor:Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30-inch (2560x1600)
Keyboard:Razer Lycosa Mirror Black
Mouse Pad:Razer Ironclad
Mice:Razer Mamba 2012

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Did your system run ok with optimized defaults set in BIOS...

Did it then run OK with XMP enabled on the RAM......

If so onto the overclocking....

Here is a good video tutorial.

And the OC stickies at the top of this forum section are a must read!

Make sure you are cooling your VRMs!!!;)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Did your system run ok with optimized defaults set in BIOS...

Did it then run OK with XMP enabled on the RAM......

If so onto the overclocking....

The system is fine on DEFAULTS, but whenever I set MEM to 1866 or 2133 black screen on boot
Unfortunately I can't boot with XMP profile or with manual MEM Freq set higher than 1600Mhz
5A error just won't let me pass

Gottex wrote:
The system is fine on DEFAULTS, but whenever I set MEM to 1866 or 2133 black screen on boot
Unfortunately I can't boot with XMP profile or with manual MEM Freq set higher than 1600Mhz
5A error just won't let me pass

OK so if I were you I would forget all about OCing the CPU until you have your RAM stable.

Is that a kit of four sticks but dual channel or is it quad channel RAM?

My advice would be to get the latest BIOS installed. Load optimized defaults save and exit. Back into BIOS...load XMP leaving everything on auto. If this will not boot try setting up manually.

Load optimized defaults save and exit. Back into BIOS...load XMP and go into DRAM timing control and copy down the values set for the Primary timings (even second and third may help) now exit without saving.

Set Ai overclock tuner to manual.......set your memory frequency to the XMP rated value (2133). Go to DRAM timing control and set Rampage tweak mode to 2 (you can try 1 too) and enter the primary timings you wrote down before.

You can try this leaving everything else on AUTO. Exit and save.

If this doesn't work try manually setting some voltages:

VDIMM maybe a bit higher than rated say 1.55 if kit is 1.5 1.65 if rated 1.6 etc.

VTT CPU try 1.25
CPU VCCSA 1.25

If this works you can try to reduce these as long as you are stable.

Other tweaks that might help:

DIGI+ section

CPU LLC med
CPU current capability 120%
CPU power phase Optimized
VCCSA LLC Regular or HIGH
VCCSA current capability 120%
DRAM current capability 120%
DRAM power phases Optimized

You can also use a program Memtest to check your sticks to see if they are faulty...http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/68...etatesters-%21

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK so if I were you I would forget all about OCing the CPU until you have your RAM stable.

Is that a kit of four sticks but dual channel or is it quad channel RAM?

My advice would be to get the latest BIOS installed. Load optimized defaults save and exit. Back into BIOS...load XMP leaving everything on auto. If this will not boot try setting up manually.

Load optimized defaults save and exit. Back into BIOS...load XMP and go into DRAM timing control and copy down the values set for the Primary timings (even second and third may help) now exit without saving.

Set Ai overclock tuner to manual.......set your memory frequency to the XMP rated value (2133). Go to DRAM timing control and set Rampage tweak mode to 2 (you can try 1 too) and enter the primary timings you wrote down before.

You can try this leaving everything else on AUTO. Exit and save.

If this doesn't work try manually setting some voltages:

VDIMM maybe a bit higher than rated say 1.55 if kit is 1.5 1.65 if rated 1.6 etc.

VTT CPU try 1.25
CPU VCCSA 1.25

If this works you can try to reduce these as long as you are stable.

Other tweaks that might help:

DIGI+ section

CPU LLC med
CPU current capability 120%
CPU power phase Optimized
VCCSA LLC Regular or HIGH
VCCSA current capability 120%
DRAM current capability 120%
DRAM power phases Optimized

You can also use a program Memtest to check your sticks to see if they are faulty...http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/68...etatesters-%21

Unfortunately nothing from what u suggested worked with my chip 😞
I simply can't pass the 5A error on MB display when I set smth higher than 1600

Dartmaul
Level 12
I wasn't really surprised.

The settings I've given you you are not final, they just couldn't be.
RIVE mobo is a very complicated overclocking tool, when it reboots while trying to start it doesn't means that settings are incorrect.

You haven't spend really much time for overclocking, mostly to find your main hard-drive in boot menu etc)
Just be steady, don't perform any reckless actions, use small steps while changing any settings and don't touch anything you didn't understand.

You are over thinking it. Running overclocks in the 4.5 - 4.7 range is relatively simple.

Right off the bat, dropping your VCCSA/VTT to 1.1 is going to hurt you. You may or may not have a strong enough IMC on your CPU to handle 2133mhz at that low of voltage. What you need to do is run those voltages at Auto and see if you can boot with XMP at 2133. Yes, these will be a little on the high side but it's not going hurt anyhting while you tune your system. There is a lot of fear mongering and hoopla about over volting these settings, but chips aren't dying left and right nor degrading in a matter of days at Auto settings.

The best way to start is to run ALL your voltages at Auto, set your multiplier to 46, set memory to XMP and 2133 and fire it up. See if you can run stable at those settings. If so, take note of the voltages. Then go back and manually set your Core voltage and restest. If stable begin working your core voltage down. In the end you should be able to hit 4.6 easily in the 1.3 to 1.4v range. If your cannot, I wouldn't suggest more than 1.42v for 24/7 use and you may have a poor chip and need to drop your overclock.

Assuming you can get your 4.6 stable at around 1.32v - 1.4v or so, next move to your VCCSA/VTT. Run both the VCCSA and VTT at the same voltage (not the same as the CPU voltage, just keep VCCSA and VTT the same at whaever you set them at). I would assume Auto might put you at 1.25v for 2133mhz. Begin notching these down incrementally testing along the way just like you did for the core voltage until you find your lowest stable settings.

Keep in mind everyone's system is different...especially the quaility of the CPU and the internal IMC. Throw in the quality and brand of ram and you have many variables. You might simply find that you need a little more VCCSA/VTT and/or core voltage than other folks. That's no big deal. I've built 5 rigs based on the 3930k C2, all running 2133 or 2400 memory, and most in the 1.2v range (1.15 to 1.25v) for VCCSA/VTT. None have degraded a bit in over 6 months. Remember when you run your memory at 2133 or 2400 you are asking your IMC to run overclocked, so you may need that voltage.

Assuming you get your system humming at 4.6 this way, tick up the mulitpler to 47. You may need a bit more core voltage. Needing more VCCSA/VTT would be unlikely.