cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top end build Suggestion(s)

gtaylor1023
Level 7
I am planning a new top end build and am looking for any suggestions about which way it should pan out for top playability.

i am going to be playing at 7860 x 1440 rez so i was thinking the following:

x79 Max IV extreme over 1155 Formula V (unless advised toward 1155)

i7 3930k processor will be oc'd

16 gigs of 1600 mhz ram

Corsair AX1200i Power Supply

Two (possibly three) 4GB 680's with HydroCopper full card water blocks over dual 690's for the extra vRam the 4 GB 680s offer plus cost diff.

I need a case recommendation for this build to keep the radiators Inside the case. Not that i don't mind mounting them outside but to me it just looks tacky.

I was leaning toward the corsair 800D but not sure if it is big enough to fit everything or if will need stop up to the TJ11.

My buddy's GF is doing a full blown airbrush job on the case so while a window would be nice not necessary

Thanks Guys

Greg

PS - how do some of the members seem to get sponsor donations for big builds? not really looking but curious
25 REPLIES 25

kkn
Level 14
i guess they ask if they will sponsor them whit a few % off the price?
from what i can find on google on that TJ11 case, you can fit 2 360 rads on the bottom ( http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/08/mod-of-the-month-july-2011/31-300x292.jpg ) but 480 would be a prob since you hit the PSU.
well i guess this is a overkill when it comes to price but, you can look at it ( its expensive and you can choose how to set it up )
http://www.caselabs-store.com/merlin-sm8/

Three 2560x1440 monitors! Wow, that will be awesome...need all the GFX power you can get.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

chrsplmr
Level 18
gtaylor1023 .. Welcome to ROGforum.

.. but .. what will you be using this for ?? game? oc? ect.

imho. Max V is king .. right now .. and dont 'scrimp' on memory .. Dom GT or Platinum.again.imho.
best of luck..keep us 'posted'.c.

Max V hmmm. So the z77 with three pci-e 3.0 slots can handle the bandwidth of this monitor array? I was worried about saturation but maybe I won't need too.

I am using of for gaming and some video work which is why the x79 is staying in the race.

I have also opened up a custom pc shop so it is going to be the flagship show piece in the office

Please offer any more suggestions and I will start uploading pics as parts come in 🙂

i got poking around over at case labs for the 10,000th time over the past few months and am settling in on the Magnum SMH10 or the TJ11.

Thanks again for all the help...while i have built loads of Water cooled machines as well as HAF systems I haven't started a build that could possibly max the bandwith on the video card pci-e slots.

thanks for the continued sugguestions

G

chrsplmr wrote:
gtaylor1023 .. Welcome to ROGforum.

.. but .. what will you be using this for ?? game? oc? ect.

imho. Max V is king .. right now .. and dont 'scrimp' on memory .. Dom GT or Platinum.again.imho.
best of luck..keep us 'posted'.c.

I think he's gonna use it for gaming most likely. He mentioned he's gonna use triple monitors @ 7860 x 1440 res. Obviously gaming =D
#welcomechallenges

kkn
Level 14
the maximus 5 formula ( have fusion NB ) will take 3 cards, the maximus 5 extreeme takes 4 cards.
both are LGA 1155 witch came out june/july this year ( i guess you know ) and the X79 got out last year and theres no new one exept just updates on them that i know of.

ya, i followed the releases closely. And no matter what reading you do out there it seems hard to find a definitive answer to:

you are going to run at 7860 x 1440 or bigger you MUST go with "x"

with the Z77 as we all know you will be going 8x16x8 or 8x16x8x8

with the X79 Rampage IV will get you 16x16x8 while the 4 card would be the same 16x8x8x8 just in a different layout for the location of the 16x slot

danjw
Level 10
I would go with the Maximus V formula!

If it isn't a budget bust, you might want to consider twin GTX 690 (2 bined 680 GPUs on one card) to drive those monitors. I am not really sure what kind of frame rates you can expect to get with either direction, but 11,318,400 are a lot pixels to push. I think this is the only supported way for you to go 4-GPU SLI with Nvidia.

It isn't clear what alternative board, to the Formula you mean. You said Maximus IV Extreme and X79, Maximus IV Extreme is a P67 motherboard, the Maximus IV Extreme-Z is a Z68 board and the Rampage IV Extreme is an X79 board. All of these other then the Formula are Sandy Bridge artitechture boards, which means PCIe 2.0. The Rampage is Sandy Bridge-E a different socket (2011) from all the others and doesn't have the onboard GPU, which means no quicksync. The Maximus IV Extreme doesn't support the onboard GPU either, even though it is on the processor. All the sockets and similar names of boards can get quite confusing. 🙂

There is also the Maximus V Extreme, which would allow 3-way SLI, has PCIe 3.0 and is built on the same Intel chipset (Ivy Bridge Z77 and Socket 1155) as the Maximus V Formula. It is also the top end of the Maximus V line. The Formula has a better audio section, a combo water block/heatsink on the VRM capacitors and liquid nitrogen cooling support. The Extreme has some additional over clocking features that are focused on hard core OCers (but lacks the liquid nitrogen support) and has an ASMedia PCIe 3.0 controler to allow more PCIe 3.0 slots. The later is the reason it can support a 3 Card SLI system. One more note on the Formula, it officially only supports 2 Card SLI, you might be able to get 3-way to work, but it wouldn't be supported.

This was a lot of information in one place, I hope I didn't confuse things further. Their is a simular build log to what you are discussing here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20477-A-new-ROG-build......parts-and-comments-at-this-stage