cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW ignoring "when lid closed" options.

Aroth
Level 7
For some reason my laptop has decided to start randomly ignoring my power options for when I close the lid and when it is supposed to go to sleep. I regularly run download managers and other programs in the background that corrupt their data if stopped unexpectedly. Because of this I set my power options to never sleep or turn off the hard disks, regardless of whether running from battery or plugged in. As I regularly set my laptop at a task and then go do something else while I wait (watch TV, read a book, etc.) I have the system set to do nothing when I close the lid. However for some reason the laptop still occasionally goes to sleep when it is left unattended for an indeterminate period of time (longer than 5 minutes, less than 30). This does not happen every time, and seems to occur more often when a game is left running when I close the lid. It has also happened with nothing running in the background besides a web download.

The issue started when I replaced the failing stock hard drive with a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB and reinstalled windows 7 from scratch. I have already removed ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid (thinking maybe it was overriding the windows settings) to no effect. The model I own is a G73SW-BST6. Aside from the new hard drive, the only other hardware change I have made is installing a Bluetooth module. If anyone can help me figure out what is going on here I would appreciate it.
14 REPLIES 14

chrsplmr
Level 18
Aroth .. Welcome to ROGforum.

ControlPanel>power options>change plan settings>change advanced settings..scroll the list.c.

Thanks for the reply Chris, however I have already tried setting those options and the laptop seems to be ignoring them. I am uploading some screen shots of the current settings for the profile i keep active, I have the exact same settings in the other profiles on the off chance something is causing the profile to change.1215312154

xeromist
I know this is just a band-aid but you could try this:
http://www.download3000.com/download_60772.html
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cl-scott
Level 12
I've never really had the chance to test this out, but I know XP had a bug where it would occasionally start ignoring various power saving options, and the solution was just to change the setting, hit apply, then change it back and hit apply. Considering Win 7 is based on XP via Vista, and it's all of a few seconds effort, it seems worth a shot.

Will try that and report back. I have an idea how to recreate the issue, so.

Update: Cycling the settings did not resolve the issue. Computer is hibernating, not sleeping, and does so roughly 10 minutes after closing the lid when a game is running. Occurs reliably when running either World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2. Will test with a non-online game next.

Occuring when a game is running, but not otherwise, suggests to me that the issue is rooted in possible power saving features being implemented by the graphics card or driver. Thoughts?

dstrakele
Level 14
See if you have a BIOS setting similar to the one discussed in this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation.

Another suggestion - Is your display configured to turn off after 10 minutes?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Aroth
Level 7
So non-online games (tested with an offline version of Dark Souls) do not trigger the hibernation.

My display is set to dim after 10 minutes and turn off after 15 when plugged in, and 5 and 10 minutes when on battery. Not sure why/how that would affect it though. Will reboot and check my BIOS for a power saving feature.

Update: Checked BIOS settings and there are none for power saving. (BIOS is 205) I still suspect my GPU is somehow hijacking the power settings when in use, though why it only happens with online games (MMOs in particular) and not offline games is beyond me.

Is it possible the laptop is overheating when I close the lid with a game running and its triggering hibernation?

dstrakele
Level 14
Run HWINFO64 and configure to log temperatures to find out.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PILGRIM
Level 11
Aroth wrote:
The issue started when I replaced the failing stock hard drive with a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB and reinstalled windows 7 from scratch. I have already removed ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid (thinking maybe it was overriding the windows settings) to no effect. The model I own is a G73SW-BST6. Aside from the new hard drive, the only other hardware change I have made is installing a Bluetooth module. If anyone can help me figure out what is going on here I would appreciate it.

How about installing back Power4Gear Hybrid? Would it resolve it?..

I have P4G Hybrid on the G74 for a year now. And never had an issue with it.
Also, I don't think it hijacks (or overrides) the Windows settings.
My power plan is also set at High Performance.
ASUS G74SX-3DE