cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The great Windows 8 Hate Debate

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Loaded up Windows 8 today and had a look around; few thoughts:

1. Why the hell, is there no choice for your homepage style?! The Metro UI is all fine and dandy for touch screen but why don't we get the choice of the desktop for desktops?! really simple Microsoft 😉
So far playing around I can see you can put most of the stuff that came up in desktop on the start page but everything is a click more to get to including switching off!

2. Something that may sum Win 8 up.... the start page is accessed in the bottom left where Start button always was. But whereas start button always took left hand of task-bar now it is a hide/reveal thing so you can actually put something on the task-bar where the Start button was on Win 7.....result?: In Win 8.... you can't open either start or task-bar item without clicking on the wrong one first and doing it twice over!!

I don't know....new stuff always needs getting used to and I'm more than prepared to be open minded and learn new stuff. I never hated Vista and never had a problem with it even though it was a bit heavy and win 7 great.

Win 8 I'm already left wondering......

Benchmarks seem to run a bit better on Win 7 from what I can find...benchers beware!

What do you reckon?
139 REPLIES 139

frisianbear2002
Level 9
Yeah for me windows 7 all the way 😛 to many cons for 8 wait for windows 10 hahahaha
l Asus Rampage 4 Extreme l intel 3930X@ 4800Mhz (1.45volt) 24/7 l Asus matrix GTX 580 l
16GB Team Xtreem DDR3 PC3-20800 2600MHz (11-11-11-28-1)
l Coolermaster Silentpro 1000w PSU l Revodrive3 ssd l WD Raptor 150Gb (10000rpm) l Corsair H100 wc with 4 Cougar Vortex fans l CM HAF 932 Avanced case l Acer X243H 24'' l Asus RT N66U Dark Knight l Logitech Z2300 speakers

In progress the custom build PC Samurai Warrior ''Miyamoto Musashi'' in Japanese ''宮本 武蔵'' made by Pascal

chrsplmr wrote:
Can't you disable MetroUI ?? Giving you the 'win7' style desktop ??

http://betanews.com/2012/08/20/skip-metro-suite-bypasses-the-windows-8-start-screen/

http://superuser.com/questions/462687/how-do-i-turn-off-modern-ui-in-windows-8

Thanks chrs....ok so Start8 looks like it does the job for the ludites! but its more processes running etc.

frisianbear2002 wrote:
Yeah for me windows 7 all the way 😛 to many cons for 8 wait for windows 10 hahahaha

frisianbear, Windows 10 might only come in one colour and be locked in the cloud when Bill Gates is sleeping... better the devil you know...;)

Krindor
Level 11
Been running windows 8 for a month have had no big problems except compatibility with some of the drivers but I will patch as soon as I'm done with the finishing touches on the pc. While most ppl say metro mode is useless, it is great! win8 is also much quicker and the blue screen is actually telling the prob instead of a lot of numbers. Which makes it easier to pin point the prob when ocing.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

cl-scott
Level 12
I haven't used Win 8 in any way, not even a Windows Phone device, though I am slated for "training" tomorrow morning. So, just getting that out of the way, because there may be some specifics I'm not aware of... Yet.

Being kind of an enthusiast psychologist/sociologist, I see something of a pattern with Windows releases. Essentially the bigger the changes from the previous version, the more the initial resistance to the release. You can go all the way back to Windows 95, 17 years ago, which adopted the look and feel that was to be used for the next 17 years through Windows 8's "classic" mode. There was a fair amount of resistance to Windows95 because it was a pretty radical departure from the old Windows 1.x-3.x Program Manager interface. Fast forward to XP, and everyone was moved from the old DOS based version of Windows to the much more robust and modern NT platform... Suddenly everyone had to come to grips with user accounts, permissions, driver support was rather poor, the OS actually enforced rules about directly accessing hardware by programs and so quite a few programs wouldn't work (mostly games), integrated chipsets at the time couldn't handle the Luna skinning system very well. Now fast forward again to Windows 8, and you have another rather radical departure from established convention, with the predictable resistance to it.

Along the way, you can point out how when you boil it down, most of the complaints people had about WinME were "they moved things around." That is the majority of what Vista complaints boil down as well, along with another case where low end hardware being branded as "Vista compatible" was kind of misleading because it really wasn't up to the demands of Vista.

There are a few moves on Microsoft's part I question, like making the Modern UI the default even for desktops. Tablets and cell phones I could see, even making it an option on desktops, but just not making it an option to set the old Windows Explorer desktop as the default. However, at the same time, how much does the average person really use the Windows Explorer desktop as much more than a glorified program launcher? If you can do that with Modern UI, and switch between programs with the same relative ease, then what exactly have you lost aside from the security blanket of the familiar?

Personally, having always been a fan of the old Program Manager style interface compared to the Mac OS style desktop, I'm cautiously optimistic about Modern UI. I think it will need a little refinement for the desktop, but it has potential. At the same time however, I could go off on a large rant about how it seems like Microsoft and Apple are both turning desktops into vastly overpowered tablets rather than seeking to differentiate the two and exploiting the unique strengths of each platform, and the ways in which they might compliment one another. Might still be a little too early to comment on Microsoft, but Apple seems firmly set on the path of iOS being the only platform going forward, like it or not.

speed
Level 12
Vista never bothered me. I'm sure Windows ate won't bother me. if it sux I'll go to 7 again. no worries. Will not use the touch screen stuff. I HATE finger prints on my screen.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

speed wrote:
I HATE finger prints on my screen.

Ill second that BigTime .. drives me nuts .. give them an excuse to touch it .. no way ..
it is a 'window' ... i ask mine .. do you stick your finger in your ear to listen ??? hahahhaha

1ceTr0n
Level 11
I'll stick with Win 7 premium for awhile thanks very much.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I have stated this in the past and it's still the same today. I'll pass on Windows 8 and if Microsoft tries to force it on me I'll even go to the point of building an Older System an Put LINUX on it! I'm not concerned about the UI or other upgrades but instead it's the Secure Boot and the UEFI Patch Microsoft has already stated their pushing no matter what that will force you to run nothing but Windows 8 or up! No and's, If's, or butt's about it. Plus the fact that this isn't only targeted at Windows Users or Linux Users it's also targeted at Apple Users! Basically Microshaft is forcing the entire Computer Market in to Windows only. That's the reason I'm totally against Windows 8. If you don't believe it do a little Research on Secure Boot...Even Biosmods.com had a MAJOR Write up by Experts in BIOS Programing stating this very thing a year ago plus the fact that Microsoft in a few articles (even on MSN) stated that they were going to push it because as they put it we can not be trusted or in other nice words unless we pay them we can't use our own computers.

If in Doubt look it up yourself! who cares if Windows 8 is Nice or performs well if I'm not allowed to use my $1000+ computer that I purchased myself and built!