Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Maybe...who knows, are we going to get DirectTouch now?
    Or is Microsoft heading for WinAppleDroid Town ?? How bout WindowsG(ame) .. the enthusiasts OS ??

Quote Originally Posted by chrsplmr View Post
    Or is Microsoft heading for WinAppleDroid Town ?? How bout WindowsG(ame) .. the enthusiasts OS ??
    Strike the 'droid' out of there. MS is trying to become Apple (see SecureBoot and Windows store). They are ignoring the gamers and the businesses that made them great. If they continue the way they are, LINUX may take over the desktop!
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

If they continue the way they are, LINUX may take over the desktop!

Ohh please I hope so!!!

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

OK, so the final release is well and truly out and well and truly off my desktop. Bizarrely the final 64 bit version installs and then corrupts and hangs on startup etc. whereas the preview had none of these problems...... will wait awhile before making the move.

I don't hate Windows 8. I don't think I'll be updating any time soon, but that's more a matter of finance than desire (or lack thereof).

One thing I do hate, even though I certainly know that it is the result of marketing, is what I term "Eye-candy over function." I'm looking for the actual great new thing that makes Win 8 so much better as a functional OS for my desktops (& now laptop) than anything that's come before. (& as I readily admit than I'm "old skool," I'm also not too keen on touching my monitor--ever. Doing high resolution graphics & paying for the ability to play games that look almost like movies seems contrary to "screen touching," imho.)

In all honesty, Win 8 just may be the greatest thing since sliced bread in regards to mobile/ handheld devices. But I don't use those, for work or play. & as I age, my eyes are getting worse--which is my excuse to continue to try to get LARGER monitors. Ever try to develop a high resolution graphic on a 2in X 3.5in screen?

So what's the great new OS function of Win 8?

I understand, @Skull6, what you are talking about. For that reason, when I run LINUX, my primary shell is LXDE. Sure, it's nothing fancy (think graphics between Windows 98 and XP) but it is light and runs really fast. I take the view: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sure, touch based displays need something other than Windows, but Windows has been tweaked to almost perfection on the desktop UI.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Banned Array

yall still beatin' this dead horse? Down south we'ed of cut her up and put it on the BBQ by now.

I understand, @Skull6, what you are talking about. For that reason, when I run LINUX, my primary shell is LXDE. Sure, it's nothing fancy (think graphics between Windows 98 and XP) but it is light and runs really fast. I take the view: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sure, touch based displays need something other than Windows, but Windows has been tweaked to almost perfection on the desktop UI.
    Window's isn't just a desktop environment. That's like saying Ubuntu is a desktop environment...

LXDE isn't even a shell is it? It's a DE. Shell != DE != OS != kernel != UI

Strike the 'droid' out of there. MS is trying to become Apple (see SecureBoot and Windows store). They are ignoring the gamers and the businesses that made them great. If they continue the way they are, LINUX may take over the desktop!
    I disagree, looking at the way they want to integrate windows live, it looks like they are now taking a more active interest in gaming. I don't think trying to control the market is the right way to go about it, but they are definitely more interested in gamers than they ever have been before.
    Last edited by Gorman; 11-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.

ROG Member Array

Why need a hate debate for windows 8? it's the hardware that needs to be hated. Asus ROG Team needs to dive into touch like the vivo team are doing. And not only touch but gestures like kinect, voice ROG team should look at. For now windows 8 is hated because it's built for touch. but get over it guys even windows 9, 10 comes out those tiles are there. Post PC is real! time is changing MS is a different company now

@pongkie, ASUS is looking into touch, look at some of their non-ROG laptops. My guess is that the ROG laptops are likely to remain non-touch for a while, since gamers want the precision of a mouse and performance of the graphics card over an ergonomic setup that is known to be bad (reaching out to touch the display).

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast