Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

It'll probably be give and take in some areas. Overall it has some nice improvements - enough for me to consider it an upgrade of sorts.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Yeah, I saw that...tha's what I was going to unscientifically test.... 3D11 and 3D vantage.......I guess as always a mature os has the advantage sometimes over the new one guess they'll work on that.

Hold on guys. Are we actually getting along, or are we just comfortably ignoring each other?

Both are worthy ideals and lead to a comfortable forum life (take note!)...lol

You are now returned to your regular scheduled programming. Back to sexist views and other forms of narrow minded behaviour....

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

He he Raja not ignoring you...didn't see your post in between....phone screen etc.

The point was to discuss it you know like...... in the discussion thread I´d be happpy as a clam if you'd expound on the good stuff you've seen. I only just loaded it up this last weekend and noted somethings but I've still got a ways to play with it.

I am a customer of both Microsoft and Asus and thus am always right.

I know Arne, was just jokin..

For me, I upgrade to keep current, and I have not seen anything to put me off per se. As long as the networking options are as good as Win 7 (or better) I'll do it happily.

As for the analogy about being right, that goes doubly when you work at ASUS, we'd like to think we're never wrong...hehehe

I've been testing Win8 for about 2-3 solid months now.

I can see what they're trying to do with Win8 and it's great for Microsoft.

It's terrible for their resellers and OEM partners.

Funfact: Computer retailers make crap on PCs and laptops. We used to be able to counter this by upselling products (Office, anti-virus etc etc) Now that Microsoft is moving to subscription based Office and promoting their own 'App store' we can no longer rely on those products to make up for our margins.

What does this mean for endusers?

Support prices are going to go up. As we now have to make up for the loss of software sales

Product quality is going to decrease. Now that the margins have shrunk retailers are going to try and make up the difference by reselling cheaper products or loading existing units with bloatware.

Microsoft is directly attacking it's resellers and partners.

With Microsoft releasing it's own tablet and downplaying the tablets sold by its OEM partners as 'inferior' it's declaring war of the very people who MADE Microsoft it's cash.

I see this as Microsoft shifting its focus to the Apple business model.

As far as the actual OS software goes:

I'm all for UI changes as long as they IMPROVE the experience. Phantom menu's, odd navigation choices and nonsense item placement are not improving the Windows core. It doesn't come together at all. Switching between 'classic' desktop and the Metro add a sense of dislocation.

I also don't like the 'always connected' user account feature. There wasn't enough warning that the user account you just created requires internet access to work properly (It feels like DRM) And if you want a proper offline account you need to create a separate account. It was confusing to actually find the information I needed about this topic.

I don't like the rebanding and concept of Windows XBOX as far as gaming goes.

I DO like the removal of Aero.

The boot up speeds and resource management is significantly better.

I love the new taskman

The self repair feature is pretty nifty

Allowing the user to change the system login screen adds a new depth of customizability that didn't exist prior (At least not for the average end user)

I'm not a big fan of Win8.

Will I use it?

Yes, I have customers to support and people who rely on my knowledge.

Do I like it?

No.

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Here is quite a good set of benchmarks of all different types.

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-w...8-vs-windows7/

This weekend I was going to do a couple myself to see if there was any noticable difference.
    Yeah, but can it do 20 reps at 250lbs? Huh, huh?! Can it? I thought so!

(I can't either, but this isn't about me)

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cl-scott View Post
    Yeah, but can it do 20 reps at 250lbs? Huh, huh?! Can it?
    Why? If it could do that, you would use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Hold on guys. Are we actually getting along, or are we just comfortably ignoring each other?

Both are worthy ideals and lead to a comfortable forum life (take note!)...lol

You are now returned to your regular scheduled programming. Back to sexist views and other forms of narrow minded behaviour....
    What is there to say to someone who discriminates against the non-pants wearing among us?

But on a somewhat serious note, went through some "training" on Win 8 the other day... Was kind of hoping it'd help me decide if I wanted to get in on the $40 pre-order thing, even if I just sit on it for a while... Sadly it didn't. In some ways Win 8 is very much improved over 7, and in other ways it seems like a significant step backwards.

There are a number of cool technical improvement in Win 8, like the ability to boot from a RAM disk and then shadow that with something like a SSD to eliminate the SATA bus as a performance bottleneck. That is very cool, even though odds are I'll never actually make use of the feature. OTOH, Modern UI on a desktop/laptop is truly horrendous. Not to mention the number of steps required to shut your computer off now has grown considerably, although at least in one minor respect... Now you no longer go to Start to shut down, so that little UI inconsistency that has been around since Windows 95 is no more.

So, for myself I'm kind of leaning towards just staying with 7 until Haswell chips are on the market and then when I get a new system I won't have a lot of choice. I also keep coming back to being annoyed that Apple and Microsoft seem to be engaged in a race to the lowest common denominator: tablets in this instance. Going to end up with Linux whether I like it or not if this keeps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka17 View Post
    Why? If it could do that, you would use it?
    Eh, it's not even 9:30AM here, and you expect perfection?! Someone was saying something about benching, and I quoted the wrong post. But when I think about it... If Windows 8 could do 20 reps at 250lbs, I might well use it just for the novelty effect. Whether I'd use it for a long period of time is a bit up in the air, but I'd use it.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast