cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

graphic card advice

ganji
Level 13
ello folks
im looking at getting a hd7970. i want a red n black card to match the rest of my rig so the Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II 3072MB seems the better choice .
both of my monitors are dvi input and from what i can find this is the only 7970 that has the 2 x dvi outputs . why did amd decide to reduce the amount of dvi outputs on thier cards? strange one..

1, can i run my 2 dvi monitors just using the dvi outputs as i do with my 6950 or has amd done it so i can only use the one and then an adapter? in the specs in overclockers they have it listed as 1 x dvi but i can see 2 in the picture.

2, ive read a few forums where people have been having trouble with this card. am i right in thinking that this was just a driver issue and is now sorted??

any help is much apreciated as always. cheers 😉

edit: a friend has just got a gigabit connection and wants to know the best route to take get the best speeds from it. at the moment with his realtek network card he can only get 400Mb both up and down. could he buy a better network card that will utilize the connection better?
74 REPLIES 74

kkn
Level 14
his limit is his drives, and hardware.
tell him to try www.speedtest.net and see what speed he gets there.
is it the other lads on the server thats selling it or enny one else? ( send a pm to me )
and for the amd cards, if i dont remember wrong, it can be the drivers thats bugging the cards, but i cant say for shure.

try googling around and look at tests 🙂
heres a quick google hit i got : http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37253-three-screen-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970/
laters z z z

ganji
Level 13
cheres for replying chap.
on speedtest.net he's seeing speeds of around 400Mbps on his rig but when the engineer was setting it up he was getting 700Mbps on the laptop he used.

kkn
Level 14
if he knows his way around a pc, tell him to go inn and see if his lan port is set at full duplex.

ganji
Level 13
okey dokey chap cheers 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

From this I think you can use both DVI ports right? I think the issues were running 3 or more monitors and driver related...there's a long thread on here somewhere.

If you plug in 6 monitors one of the DVI ports drops to single link resolutions which was a complaint but not in your case...:)

ganji
Level 13
cheers Arne
yeah i searched all the online stores listed specs to find out about the dvi outputs. the 2 x dvi are 1 dvi and 1 dvi-i so i'll be all good.
cheers for the comfirmation

ganji
Level 13
had a slight change of plan and got 2 x Pallit GTX 670 jetstream 😄 the thing is now i have to save up for a new psu lol and just run the one for now.

edit: what wattage psu would u recomend to run these? i dont plan on overclocking the cards

kkn
Level 14
GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.

What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

*bad 3D performance
*crashing games
*spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
*freezing during gameplay
*PSU overload can cause it to break down

ganji
Level 13
cheers chap.
ye ah deffo gotta save for a new psu enit. im not gonna run the 2 cards untill i can get one either. will just have to run the one and wind myself up constantly knowing the other is sat in a drawer for a few months waiting to go in 😞