cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to play Blu-Ray on fresh Windows install

qwertymodo
Level 7
I just got my first Blu-Ray today (The Avengers, w00t!), but I am unable to play it on my G75. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I did a fresh OEM Windows 7 Pro install, but I did install all of the drivers and utilities from the G75 product page, and I did install the video driver update from a couple weeks back. I have tried playing it in WMP, MPC-HC, and VLC, all of which fail. I have attached a screenshot of the errors. What am I missing?
24 REPLIES 24

TSC-Ops
Level 7
you need codecs or a saftware blu ray player
Asus G75VW-BBK , 24GB , 2x256GB SSD , everything else stock

Maybe you just don't have a blu-ray player on your model? Mine has played blu-ray discs perfectly since I got it in July.

qwertymodo
Level 7
I definitely have a BD-ROM drive. I can browse the disc just fine and view all of the files. I have a feeling this is like the XP days when there was no DVD decoder included in Windows and you needed to install Cyberlink PowerDVD which would typically come with your video card drivers. So yes, I probably need a software decoder, but how do I get it? I ordered my laptop with the BD-ROM, so I should have access to the required software, but none of the downloads on the Asus site include the Blu-Ray decoder. My factory installation has been wiped, along with the recovery partition, so that is not an option, nor should it be a requirement to enable a feature for which I have already paid. Please can somebody help me get my hands on the requisite software?

qwertymodo wrote:
My factory installation has been wiped, along with the recovery partition, so that is not an option, nor should it be a requirement to enable a feature for which I have already paid. Please can somebody help me get my hands on the requisite software?

So let me get this straight. You pay for a working notebook which has working blu-ray playback out of the box; which is exactly what you got when you paid for said notebook. Then go and alter the notebook in a way that breaks the blu-ray playback; and it's not your fault and fully expect for someone at ASUS or even one of the forum members here to bend over backwards and find a solution for you?

Don't answer that question please, it's my attempt to open your eyes to how irrational your post was. Just think about it.

ZeroBarrier wrote:
some people are asses and dont understand how real people like to clean install.

if you didnt get a app install disc or make on.

you can try http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

otherwise you need a software app
Asus G75VW-BBK , 24GB , 2x256GB SSD , everything else stock

TSC-Ops wrote:
some people are asses and dont understand how real people like to clean install.

if you didnt get a app install disc or make on.

you can try http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

otherwise you need a software app

If you quoted me just to call me an ass, your quote failed; and so did your attempt to call me an ass. I run a clean install, but I don't come on forums blaming others for my mistakes. My post apparently went over your head too.

qwertymodo
Level 7
I bought a laptop, to which I added a solid state drive. I also own several copies of Windows 7 Professional. I upgraded the drive and the OS. I did not break Blu-Ray playback. Blu-Ray playback requires a licensed Blu-Ray decoder, which I paid for. I am asking for access to the software which I paid for. This is not illogical. If I pay for software, I should be able to reinstall it at a later date. I should not require a factory image in order to obtain a single piece of software which I have purchased.

Never mind, my post clearly went over your head. Carry on.

ZeroBarrier wrote:
Never mind, my post clearly went over your head. Carry on.

Nope. I'm just sick of laptops coming with the recovery partitions completely absolving manufacturers of providing the software they factory install separately. I understand exactly what you are saying, and I don't appreciate the condescension. I've been building computers for over half my lifetime. I purchased a laptop that came with software. I want access to the software that I purchased. I don't want to have to spend $80 to re-purchase software I've already purchased. This isn't a Mac forum, don't get all pissy because somebody actually likes to install their own software instead of letting their manufacturer hold their hand through the entire process.