cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to clean up G75VW HDD Space. What Bloatware should be removed?

ecd2112
Level 7
Hey all,
I've never really paid attention to just how much stuff came pre-installed on my G75. I'm looking to get a little more performance from my machine as well as clean up the HDD a bit. It's obvious there is a ton of unecessary things preloaded, and I would like to know which ones would yield the largest performance boost after removal. I don't want to go on an uninstalling rampage and accidentally remove something important; so short of just doing a clean install, what are the best programs to remove?
5 REPLIES 5

rewben
Level 13
hi ecd2112, a more practical approach to gain performance is still:
1. invest in an SSD;
2. do a fresh windows install, with only necessary drivers.

clearing up bloatware do save you space, but the performance gain is somewhat little. but if you insisted, here is the list of drivers and stuff that i think important:

1. Intel INF Update Driver
2. Via Audio Driver
3. nVidia Graphics Driver
4. Athros LAN Driver
5. Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver
6. Synaptics Touchpad driver
7. Intel USB3.0 Driver
8. ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility
9. ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
10. Nvidia PhysX Utility
11. Power4Gear Hybrid Utility
12. Keyboard Device Filter Utility
13. Wireless driver
14. Bluetooth driver
15. Intel Management Engine Interface
16. The Turbo Boost application
17. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver

other than that, they can be removed safely.

ecd2112
Level 7
thank you, I actually just ordered my SSD (Samsung 830, got it b/c the price is falling after 840 announced) and am eagerly waiting to see if SSDs are actually THAT good....

rewben
Level 13
good choice. ok we will wait for you to tell us if it's THAT good 🙂

Also, I have that exact SSD in my G75, and yes, they are THAT good. 33 second cold boot to fully responsive desktop (set to auto-login when I timed it). Programs and games load FAST. It's beautiful 🙂

qwertymodo
Level 7
The non-essential preinstalled software on the G75 really doesn't amount to very much storage-wise. If you don't like some of the utilities, you can uninstall them, but you won't recover more than a few dozen megabytes of hard drive space, so if you have other reasons for wanting them gone, by all means get rid of them, but if hard drive space is your goal, then you'll have to look elsewhere.