cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus - Annoying noise when moving mouse, scrolling web pages, graphic card loaded

Darats
Level 7
Hi there,

I recently bought a Xonar Phoebus, incredible card btw. I'm really enjoying it.

I just have a "small" but annoying issue, mainly using my headset via the headset amplifier, I can hear a small noise (quite hard to describe, but it looks like rattling or interferences).

It happened when I'm moving the mouse, scrolling the webpage, and playing a game intense for my graphic card. I would say it's both the CPU and the GPU interfering with the sound card.

How can I get rid of this? wasn't the EMI shield designed for that?
The sound card is just located under my GPU, this is the only small PCI slot I have, can I put in a large PCI slot, so I can put it more away from the graphic card?

An other statement is that is only occurs when I'm using the headset amplifier, not with my speakers connected on the rear of the card. Maybe the noise is also present there, but I can't hear it since the quality of my speakers is far worst than the one of my headset.

I would really appreciate some help, I saw some already had similar problem in this forum, but they didn't get any solution.

Thanks a lot in advance,
6 REPLIES 6

hingj0n
Level 7
Hey,

I got experience on this one with my old soundcard (creative x-fi)
this is a problem with your motherboard, you should locate an other
pci-express port to put your soundcard on that.
The noise you are hearing is simply pci-e interface noise, and cannot
be removed in anyway.
I got this problem with my microphone, not with my headphone on this
soundcard.

Too bad it's not easily fixable, I wish you good luck!

hingj0n
Level 7
And no, the anti-emi shield is not considered for the pci-e interface noise, and the CPU does not interfere with your sound card.

KILLER_K
Level 10
Did it go away when you moved the card to a new pci express slot? I got one of these ordered and now scared to use it. Seems I should have just got a Essence STX as it seems to be way ahead of this card in everything. Not sure what asus was thinking on this sound card. Why not make the op amps upgradable like on the other sound cards........

KILLER_K wrote:
Did it go away when you moved the card to a new pci express slot? I got one of these ordered and now scared to use it. Seems I should have just got a Essence STX as it seems to be way ahead of this card in everything. Not sure what asus was thinking on this sound card. Why not make the op amps upgradable like on the other sound cards........

You can move indeed your soundcard to another slot, I was lucky enough that I did not had these awfull sounds like my previous soundcards, but it is on my microphone port, a little noise when moving my mouse etc... I think sound cards are still better suitable for PCI interfaces not PCI-e, nowadays we have problems with the graphic cards because they take so much bandwith it's a little bit bouncing with other devices.
The card can fit in PCIe 1,2,4,8,16 slots. If you have this problem and you can move to an other slot, just do it *if you do it remove your drivers from this soundcard, I heard you can have serious problems with Windows once you don't do that.

hingj0n, I'm well aware of the sound card working in any pci-express slot. I'm more worried about the quality and price of the card. As I see problem after problem with this sound card. The more I browse the web the more turns up issue. One of my main concerns is why does it do worse then essence st/stx. When it suppose to be a better card? I know it has basically the same headphone amp as the STX does. But if you build a ROG sound card. Why not make it where you can change out the op amps and have a little more quality sound from the sound card?

It is like taking one step forward and 3 back. Let alone the pricing for the card and it is worse then the ST/STX sound cards. The breakout box is nice but it doesn't justify the poor quality in the sound for something that has a ROG name on it. Thanks

cx-ray
Level 12
I've used the card on both a RIIE and RIVE. I'm only able to hear electronic sounds with the volume maxed out + high gain. Basically, only in situations where you'd blow up your speakers, headphones, or your ears. As for mic sounds. Again, it's only with high boost. It's at such a low level that the sound cancelling function gets rid of it in for instance Teamspeak. If you on the other hand require studio quality, do what everyone else does. Forgo a sound card and use externally connected USB solutions.

BTW, make sure your equipment is grounded properly.