cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE + 64 GB Corsair Dominator (8x8) RAM - only recognizes 48GB

ksultan
Level 7
Hi,

Need some help here. All 8 modules are well seated, were tested individually, and all are functional. Yet when all 8x8GB are placed on Rampage IV Extreme mobo, BIOS reports only finding 48 GB.

Stranger yet - the BIOS finds each DIMM in each channel and recognizes it (amount, speed, timings, etc...) so the board knows the RAM is there, it simply won't acknowledge post-48GB.

I decided to not stress and install the OS - perhaps it was a BIOS reporting glitch. Win 8 Pro x64 only reports 48 GB though. I bought this mobo for the 64GB support - it's even on the box - but I can't get it to acknowledge all ram. All ram is functional, tested individually, and properly seated. Seems to be a BIOS issue.

A thorough search of the net yielded 2 other people this had occurred to - same issue encountered (different ram, but all QVL) - however NO response on how to fix this issue.

Anyone? I'm desperate for my last 16GB (and yeah, I need it, I do a lot of rendering). CPU is i7-3960x. RIVE BIOS has NOT been updated - the sticker on the box of "Win 8 ready" was a little rushed guys - the ASUS support CD won't install - instead reporting: "This OS is NOT supported". 😞
23 REPLIES 23

xeromist
Which memory kits(s) specifically are you using? Have you tried running the memory at a lower speed?(maybe start at 1066) The board is the interface but the memory controller is on the CPU so there are two potential points of failure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Which memory kits(s) specifically are you using? Have you tried running the memory at a lower speed?(maybe start at 1066) The board is the interface but the memory controller is on the CPU so there are two potential points of failure.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Some great ideas there. I'll try to give as much info in one reply.

Memory type bought as a package:
Corsair Dominator, 64GB (8x8GB) PC3-12800 (4-channel)
Type is DDR3 running at 1600Mhz (although the RIVE says 1333Mhz, but this is normal).
It's a 240 DIMM (unbuffered), 1.5V
It's CL10 and XMP ready, however I am not running in XMP mode. Toggling to XMP mode still showed 48GB. All power ports on the RIVE are supplied from a 1200 watt PSU, including the memory support 12v socket.

CPU is an Intel i7-3960x.

RIVE reported 48GB before OS installation. BTW - seated each one individually in channel A1 and each DIMM tested fine. It's only when the board is maxed with every channel full that it can't report 16GB of RAM.

The OS is Win 8 x64, full edition, as a registered developer I receive an earlier release than the Oct 25 release date (its the same version).

Will try the suggestions above:
- individual slot seating step by step to test the seats and determine where it cuts off
- updating the BIOS to see if a mem compat fix helps - will have to run ASUS software from a 2nd machine due to OS incompatibility
- have contacted Corsair to see if they can shed any light on it
- mem frequency adjust to see if it will be noticed at a lower speed
- reseat CPU

...and will keep the forum updated, thanks!

scotland21
Level 9
Hi and welcome buddy.
This is information I have read on this forum and on the net and is partly why I never went for that board.
First reason and the main is that I had not found any qualified 64GB kits plus would I ever use that amount of memory.
I received this reply on this forum from HiVizMan:
It is all about the quality or strength of your IMC that will determine the ease of which you can get your 64GB of DDR3 memory stable. Some but not all of the problems do come when folks use ram that was designed for a chipset other than the one you wish to use. The main factor for the successful use of a full rack of memory is the IMC on your CPU, not much else. We make the work the IMC do easier by selecting those kits specifically designed for the platform.

There are guys here who can give you more assistance than I can but I will offer the advice that I know will be given just to help you on your way.
Have you read the sticky at the top of the forum http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15143-Memory-Intsallation-Guide-Rampage-IV-Series&country=&...
The board you have has a reputation for having very tight memory sockets, and while the bios sees the ram it may still be worth re seating them as it is reported that they can take a few attempts before they loosen up a little.
Can you post the bios version as this will allow the more experienced here to help you.
Are you running x.m.p or auto?
G.Skill 16GB (4x 4GB) Quad Channel Ripjaws Z Series Memory Kit PC3-19200 CL10-12-12-31
CM Storm Stryker \ Rampage IV Formula BF3 edition \ SickleFlow 120 Green LED \ WIN7 PRO X64
SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 SATA III \ OCZ Solid 3 120GB SATA III SSD \ RAID0
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SATA III SSD \ OCZ Agility 3 60GB SATA III SSD \ 2 x EVGA 660TI 2048MB SLI

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Will your OS support more than 48GB? Release preview?
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

SUKARA
Level 10
Where are you look for the total memory size? POST logo? or under os system?
Or
Please into the bios manual to check memory SPD information (tools-->SPD information)
have detect all memory ?
Or
Try to adjust the frequency of the memory to a minimum...

DummyPLUG
Level 10
try to add it one by one, and it is not good to mix different kit in the same channel
for corsair ram the may be a version number on the ram label, try not to mix different version, especially the first number (A.BB, not mix with different A), cause differnet A means differnet chipset

Nodens
Level 16
99% of the threads on not recognized RAM are bad seatings of the modules eitiher due to RIVE's very tight slots, or user error. Do try reseating the modules several times on the slots that are not working properly (locate those by adding and removing modules). Also make sure you have the Berg connector (floppy connector) on the RAM EZ Plug connected. Willing to bet one of the non-recognized slots is B1..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
Also might want to possibly reseat your CPU.. since the memory controller is on the processor.. if your CPU isnt seated properly or heatsink might be on too tight causing too much pressure on the chip...

What BIOS version are you running? There have been some BIOS releases that address memory compatibililty..
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

rogkiller
Level 8
I have the EXACT same problem. Ram 64 gb only detecting 48gb i can see it sees the 8dimms but no 64gb ram. i have i7 3960x and rampage 4 extreme motherboard. Please help!