cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off the laptop fan for G55

WontonNoodle
Level 8
The laptop's fan is always on and it's very annoying and loud. I'm idle and it still makes this loud noise. How do I turn off the fan completely? The fan shouldn't even need to be spinning when I'm idle or typing a document or casually browsing the web. Is this a defect?

EDIT: It's around 50 db. All the time. I saw reviews that say it should be in the 30's.
18 REPLIES 18

rewben
Level 13
could it be dust? g55 should be quiet when we are doing word processing or web browsing.

WontonNoodle
Level 8
quiet like 30 db? How do I replace the fan filter on the G55? It's different than the G75. I need a definition of 'quiet'.

rewben
Level 13
my definition of 'quiet' is no sound. i basically don't hear any fan sound from my g55 when i am using ms.word, or browsing the web.

first you can try to blow the vents using strong air (compressed air, blower etc.). i don't know the right way to do that, sorry.

for proper clean-up of the fan parts, you can try a service center. for g55, it's relatively hard to get to the fans, and dis-assembly normally means warranty void.

rewben wrote:
first you can try to blow the vents using strong air (compressed air, blower etc.). i don't know the right way to do that, sorry.

Not a good idea. Over spinning the cooling fan can and will cause bearing damage.

Redneck_Randy wrote:
Not a good idea. Over spinning the cooling fan can and will cause bearing damage.

ok please share how you clean up the dust? i would like to do that from time to time too 🙂

@WontonNoodle, please teach me how to check the db thing hehe.

rewben wrote:
ok please share how you clean up the dust? i would like to do that from time to time too 🙂

@WontonNoodle, please teach me how to check the db thing hehe.

To check Db levels, you'll need a Db Meter.

rewben wrote:

With my G75 I just use a toothpick or screw driver to keep the fan from spinning when I use compressed air to clean it. On the G55 you may have to use a cloth hanger to stick inside the exhaust to keep the fan from over spinning because the G55 from my reading is a PIA to get to the cooling fans but doing it that way only blows the dust bunnies inside the laptop which may cause other problems.

Redneck_Randy wrote:
With my G75 I just use a toothpick or screw driver to keep the fan from spinning when I use compressed air to clean it. On the G55 you may have to use a cloth hanger to stick inside the exhaust to keep the fan from over spinning because the G55 from my reading is a PIA to get to the cooling fans but doing it that way only blows the dust bunnies inside the laptop which may cause other problems.

Yup and doing so is causing that fan to draw way more current then full load and can cause problems ie blowen circuits.

Yes you do need cooling when your idle and reading a PDF. Without active cooling letting the heatsink sit and build up heat will require way more cooling power to bring it down then if it were just at a lower RPM.

Yes you can control the fans on the G55 and G75 and you can disable them via software. However i will not post how to do this as Asus decided that they do not want to allow user's to control system cooling "And i'm with them on this" Your system 's fans are hardly spinning if your reading a PDF or stuff like that. If they are so loud that you need to disable them the fans may be faulty or you have some backround stuff running and ramping that cpu usage up. Messing with a laptops cooling is not somthing you want to do as you can mess up and not have the fanns cooling enought to the point that solder joints heat up and crack and you get a xbox 360 ROD type deal.

bignazpwns wrote:
Yup and doing so is causing that fan to draw way more current then full load and can cause problems ie blowen circuits.

i think what Redneck_Randy meant is putting the toothpick in while the laptop is turned off.