cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLD weather spotted! The OC games is on!

danskieness
Level 10
so yeah the ambient is quite cold today here in the phil due to stormy weather, i wanna push my luck today,

can i go 5ghz or above on my cpu? on my current setup? whatdya guys think?

edit : if it isn't possible, teach me atleast to get my max oc 😄

also if im going to clock that high i better need stabilizing, which i will learn from you guys, thanks in advice
Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350
16 REPLIES 16

kkn
Level 14
how cold? 😮

danskieness
Level 10
well i really don't know the EXACT answer to that but i always leave my real temp running, today's temps granted my cpu 21c while on a normal day i get around 26 or 28
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64

Zka17
Level 16
That's really a good day for OC'ing! However, 5GHz may be too much for that CPU... just push it slowly, step by step and watch your temps... Good luck!

Zka17 wrote:
That's really a good day for OC'ing! However, 5GHz may be too much for that CPU... just push it slowly, step by step and watch your temps... Good luck!

yeah! thanks for the advice z, i've tried to load the gamer's profile in the bios my computer freezed out on me. XD

maybe just, maybe it lacks some voltage,

some questions
whats the limit on ivy's voltage?
what values do i need to increase? should i increase the vcore's offset or should i increase something else?

Zka17
Level 16
Well, the max Vcore should be kept between 1.3-1.45 if you want your CPU to last long...

If you really want to learn OC'ing, forget those presets in BIOS and/or OS! I didn't played yet with the offsets, doing everything on manual... while tweaking, disable all power saving features (speed step and C states), set LLC to 50%, VCCSA to 0.9, VCCIO to 1.0 and Vcore to 1.30 for now - it's high, but will allow increasing the multi for a while, then you can increase if it needs to, but don't let the temps go over 75-80C under 100% load! PLL voltage to 1.8 for now (later on you could try decreasing it), memory voltage and timings let on auto until you find the max for CPU...

For the beginning, let the BCLK at 100, work only with multi... increase in small steps, test it and permanently watch the temps!!!

yep i do avoid those presets, was just testing it out.

the oc i learned was mostly from Viz, increasing the offset .5 whenever it will freeze and slightly upping the multiplier, and again increasing the offset.

so those are the major rules eh? disabling power saving, man i'm excited ill do these later in the evening, will you be on z?

danskieness wrote:
the oc i learned was mostly from Viz, increasing the offset .5 whenever it will freeze and slightly upping the multiplier, and again increasing the offset.

Hey danskieness....be careful dude! I doubt HiVizMan said 0.5 more like 0.05 or 0.005 and there should be no need to disable power saving either.

If I were you I would start off with Manual voltage and find the voltage you need for the overclock you want or more likely the overclock your CPU can do comfortably. Then armed with this voltage figure you can go about finding an offset value that gives you the magic voltage figure.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey danskieness....be careful dude! I doubt HiVizMan said 0.5 more like 0.05 or 0.005 and there should be no need to disable power saving either.

If I were you I would start off with Manual voltage and find the voltage you need for the overclock you want or more likely the overclock your CPU can do comfortably. Then armed with this voltage figure you can go about finding an offset value that gives you the magic voltage figure.

yeah sorry about that, thats a typo thanks for noticing yeah it was .005 ill go find the original thread later on, and also nice advice i'll give that one a try,

Zka17
Level 16
Not sure, mate... getting tired... - but until you see me on here, I'm still up...

If HiVizMan explained you about the offset thing, you could continue that too... he really knows these things! I just told you how I'm doing it... - which of course may not be the best way... but really you have to experiment it - that's how you learn... :cool: