cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 690 Electrical Noise, Coil Whine under load

Melkor
Level 7
Hello, please check this out and say if it's normal that Geforce GTX 690 making such a noise while it's under heavy load for example benchmarks or some games. Both of my 690's from Asus have same issue... Shall I RMA or live with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRDAXkH35Y
5 REPLIES 5

PlaneName
Level 10
If you still have warranty, send it back. If the noise doesn't bother you, keep it but the noise will become worse. How long you have those cards for?
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00
Been building PC's for 8 Years! 😉

First one is from 2012/05/20 and another one 2012/09/17

Melkor wrote:
First one is from 2012/05/20 and another one 2012/09/17

And they both do the coil noise? when did the second one start doing the noise?

That's strange, are you sure is from the GPU, listen very closely it might be the PSU? You sir, might having bad luck getting the 2 coil whining cards in a row. Do you still have one year warranty for those cards? it's not dangerous to have that coil whining but the noise will get worse.
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00

Yeah both are doing so and while one is acceptable if PC case is closed but with two things doesn't look so nice. The second card was doing that noise from the start. I checked that in first place because I wondered if new card gonna have same bahaviour. It's 100% the gpus. No matter if one or two are plugged. Maybe it's supposed to be that way, maybe it's the vapor chambers but hell it pissing me off sometimes. Tested each other of gpus on Corsair 800W PSU, Antec 1200W and the newest one BeQuiet! Dark Rock 10 1200W with same results as well as on motherboards Maximus IV Extreme, Sabertooth Z77 and Maximus V Extreme. I took the one of these cards back to the shop and will have to wait and see what they say. I think it's 3 years warranty time. Damn I don't know what to think.

Melkor wrote:
Yeah both are doing so and while one is acceptable if PC case is closed but with two things doesn't look so nice. The second card was doing that noise from the start. I checked that in first place because I wondered if new card gonna have same bahaviour. It's 100% the gpus. No matter if one or two are plugged. Maybe it's supposed to be that way, maybe it's the vapor chambers but hell it pissing me off sometimes. Tested each other of gpus on Corsair 800W PSU, Antec 1200W and the newest one BeQuiet! Dark Rock 10 1200W with same results as well as on motherboards Maximus IV Extreme, Sabertooth Z77 and Maximus V Extreme. I took the one of these cards back to the shop and will have to wait and see what they say. I think it's 3 years warranty time. Damn I don't know what to think.

Yes, it's the GPU's I'm glad you still have warranty. I never had a GPU that coil whines but I have a friend who has it and he got it replaced. They have to replace it, because you thought the noise was normal from the beginning, see if they can replace your other card as well. Lets just hope this time, you won't get another coil whine card.