Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE No post - No BIOS output since first power up

MR_T86
Level 7
Brand new: RIVE
Intel 3930k
msi GTX 660 TI
G.Skill - RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4)

Tried: Clear cmos multiple times
RAM in various combinations of slots & 1 RAM only
Check seating of all components
Wiring checked/rewired
update Bios to latest CAP - PROBLEM
updated Bios to 1404
Tested output on three different monitors all tried with different cables (HDMI, DVI, VGA) - two of which where LG TV/monitors so made sure it was set to the right signal input.
Insert OS DVD

I originally had a brand new HDD, SSD & Blu ray connected but as I had no on screen visuals I unplugged the SATA and power cables to test.
BIOS_1 (version 1404) - Debug code is 34.
BIOS_2 - Debug code is A2

At present there are no HDD/SSD's or Blu ray connected.
BIOS_1 (version 1404) - Debug code is 34.
BIOS_2 - Debug code is AO

I have used the ROG Flashback to update the BIOS_1 to Version 2105. I renamed the CAP converter once loaded to my USB and ROG connected before the version 2105 BIOS Updated.
The green light flashes for approx 3mintes then stops, which is indication of it working although my system does not re-start as mentioned in the PDF manual.

I assumed it worked so preformed the relevant steps in order to update the BIOS to Version 2105. The ROG connect does not preform the task, once holding the ROG Connect button it flashes twice then nothing.

I then repeated the above step with version 2002 as it was the earliest CAP Bios update available. No luck at updating.

I believe the converter did not work correctly as I was able to update the BIOS to version 1404. (went through the approx 3minute processes of the green light flashing as well as the lights on the RIVE board.)
BIOS 1404 is a ROM file. From reading on the forums I believe you can not roll back from CAP to ROM like this, so this is another reason to why I believe the converter did not work.

GPU is powered as its LED has lit up and GPU's fans spin.. Bios GPU Problems? What ever the problem help is much appreciated!

Cheers!
30 REPLIES 30

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
First, have you tried removing the CMOS battery for 20mins (then replace)?

When you just turn on the power, what LEDs light up on the mobo? Be specific, and colors too.

What happens when you press the MemOK button? Then what LEDs light up afterward?

I think you sould also try another PSU if you can, it can be low wattage just don't install second vid card and disconnect all you can.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Nodens
Level 16
Take the 1404 file and rename it to ERALL.ROM and flash via USB Flashback. This will make sure you have a proper 1404. Clear CMOS and see if it will post. If it does and you want to upgrade to 2105 do the capsule conversion via EZ Flash so you can see what's going on. The Capsule conversion needs a subsequent boot to finish so don't try to flash something directly after the conversion. Flash the converter and boot, you'll see the process going on. When it finished flash again 2105 via EZ Flash so you can see if it fails etc.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thanks for both responses!

Removed the CMOS battery for 35mins then replaced.

I do not have another PSU to test. The one I am using is a new cooler master silent pro hybrid 850w.

Below is the LED tests. At present Blu ray is connected.

'When you just turn on the power, what LEDs light up on the mobo? Be specific, and colors too.'
Bios_1 LED is orange & stays on once powered up
Voltiminder LEDII: Green LEDs blink - VSA, PCHI,DRAM_CD,GND,DRAM AB. These LED's do not stay on.
Q LED: Red LEDs blink then stay on - VGA LED, VI_VCORE
Hard disk LED: HD_LED blinked Orange twice

'What happens when you press the MemOK button?'
The MemOK button flashes red on and off whilst going through the different debug codes but once it reaches the end code of 34 it no longer flashes.

'Then what LEDs light up afterward?'
Same as before the MemOK test.

-

I renamed the 1404 file to ERALL.ROM and flashed via USB Flashback. Seemed to have worked, cleared CMOS but did not POST.
As there was no POST I could not flash the CAP Converter via EZ Flash so did so via USB Flashback, seemed to work (correct flashing procedure) but no restart as mentioned im my first post.
I manually started the machine and shut it down to attempt to update to 2105 as you mention it needs a 'subsequent boot'. Did not work (ROG flashed green a few times light on USB lit up once then both lights off).
Debug code at that point was F9.

I have repeated the ERALL.ROM step which brings the Debug code to 34 (origanlly AE, before I CMOS cleared).

MR T86 wrote:
'What happens when you press the MemOK button?'
The MemOK button flashes red on and off whilst going through the different debug codes but once it reaches the end code of 34 it no longer flashes.

'Then what LEDs light up afterward?'
Same as before the MemOK test.

The norm for this, is the MemOK LED stops flashing, then you release the button and the MemOK LED stays on. A second or two later the PSU turns on and it attempts POST. This points possible memory problems, like it could not find an acceptable memory setting.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Again thanks for the responses!

I have been away but till Code 34.

HalloweenWeed, I never realised the amount of problems a PSU could cause. As you stated I did not skimp on buying a cooler master silent pro hybrid 850w so did not expect issues, especially as it is a gold certified product.
If I can RMA my PSU what do you recommended for the RIVE (silence also in mind).

In regards to 'not find an acceptable memory setting' what steps do I take in order to give it the right settings?

-

Arne, as the CAP converter did not successfully work, (no subsequent boot so the conversion never finishes successfully) I ended up using the 1404 and renaming it to ERALL.ROM ,following Nodens advice.
I have used a combination of cables/monitor/tv's via VGA, DVI, HDMI.

I have reseated the CPU and no bent pins. I have not re attached the cooler, It is not POSTing so believe the CPU is not getting hot enough, once it POSTs I will reseat.

-

Im looking in to booking my CPU, VGA, RAM into testing - how much should I expect this to cost and do you think it is worth it or is there something else I can do to before taking that step?

Cheers!

MR T86 wrote:
I have reseated the CPU and no bent pins. I have not re attached the cooler, It is not POSTing so believe the CPU is not getting hot enough, once it POSTs I will reseat.

Sorry I missed this post! It gave me a cold sweat when i read it....attach your cooler you could damage the CPU if it starts up with no cooling and indeed might heat up and simply not post.....

:eek:

MR T86 wrote:

Im looking in to booking my CPU, VGA, RAM into testing - how much should I expect this to cost and do you think it is worth it or is there something else I can do to before taking that step?

Cheers!

If you are able to take the items. or send the items, back to the retailer you purchased them from, they will only charge you a nominal fee for testing. It would be best if you had all the items go at one go and not piecemeal for obvious reasons. Please do keep us informed as to the progress.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nodens
Level 16
Ok first of all stay on 1404. Do not try to flash the converter as the subsequent boot needs a while to finish the conversion and that happens after POST. Which means that your conversion never finishes successfully. So stay on 1404 (via ERALL.ROM) until we figure this out. Now code 34 is RAM initialization on the CPU side. If you haven't done already, try booting with just 1 memory module on the D1 slot. If that doesn't work try another module. If no module works this way, you probably have a bad CPU.

EDIT: Assuming you are sure the CPU is seated properly with equal pressure applied on every corner.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Only the one RAM is installed in D1. I have tried swapping them around but still code 34.

CPU is installed correctly. If this CPU is bad I will start the RMA process but I want to verify this first. is there any other tests I can preform?