cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What graphic settings do you play WoW with?

joyfulPo
Level 8
I'm just curious cus right now in Pandaria, it's really tearing on my G75VW (I have 14GIG RAM) :confused:
30 REPLIES 30

Manzier
Level 7
I run everything maxed except shadows (high), cluster (high), and SSAO (low).

With everything on ultra (with stock GPU speeds), I'm dipping below 30 fps in Pandaria. I can't have that!

joyfulPo
Level 8
Triple Buffering: Enabled - Vertical Sync: Enabled

Texture Res: High
View Distance: Good - Environment Detail: High - Ground Clutter: High

Shadow Quality: Good
Liquid Detail: Good
Sunshafts: High
Particle Density: High
SSAO: Disabled

This is the settings I have to have on from the Pandaren starting location to be able to almost always keep FPS at 60.

And very often does Liquid Detail: Good = Slow me down to 30 fps very noticeable near water.

Fanty
Level 7
That varies.

At the moment I often use this:
Overclock: 720/1650 with MSI Afternburner (this in some cases removes input lag effects where I had them with default clocks. Also it increases FPS roughly like this: 30->35 (60->70)

In driver settings: Texture calculations on "high performance" instead of "quality"
I dont know if this leads to any FPS/input lag improvements at all. I cant however see any difference in the textures.

Without 3D:
General slider to "High"
Antialiasing off
VSync = adaptive (in Driver settings)
Reduce input lag: checked (it helps a little bit against the input lag problem I experience on any laptop I ever had)
Tripple buffering: off (i have enough input lag, cant need more of it. 😉

First thing I do if I realize its not going well in that area is: SSAO low or disabled

When playing 3D: (yes I actualy gave it another try and I think its really nice while questing outside. Forrests, mountains... nice.
In Dungeons it somewhat anoyed me however.

Same as above but with these changes:
SSAO = OFF
Water: medium

That leads to FPS varying between 30-50 in 3D. (note 3D means 50% FPS)
3D settings:
First slider (how far away is the point where both cameras meet on one point. this influces the distance in wich objects poke out of the screen): 55mm to the right
Second slider (how much space is between the 2 cameras): 1cm to the right
general tip for 3D: So more zoomed out you play, so higher 3D settings are acceptable to the eye.

Forgottenbhs
Level 7
Currently I play with everything on Ultra and SSAO on high. The difference between High and Disabled is about 5 FPS give or take and I never go under 30FPS. I also have AA in the nVidia setting set to enhance the application at 8x CSAA, Triple Buffer enabled and V-Sync set to adaptive.

I do wonder if enabling Ambient Occlusion in the nVidia setting rather than in WoW would make any difference in quality or performance.
Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Forgottenbhs wrote:
Currently I play with everything on Ultra and SSAO on high. The difference between High and Disabled is about 5 FPS give or take and I never go under 30FPS.

That depends on the number of objects that SSAO needs to shade. In a forrest scenario with a lot of gras and bushes and all stuff on the ground I get 28FPS with SSAO is "high", like 35FPS with "low" and 48 if "disabled". (and all others settings to "Ultra"). Thats an increadable difference for an effect, wich is barely visible at all.

Those 5 FPS is the difference in Stormwind (City Scenario).

Thats a similiar thing like with "transparence antialiasing", wich doesnt make any FPS difference in the city with 2 or 3 trees but that makes a mashine go down to 5 FPS in a forrest, because all these leaves and grasses in WOW are clip mapping instead of polygons.

Fanty wrote:
That depends on the number of objects that SSAO needs to shade. In a forrest scenario with a lot of gras and bushes and all stuff on the ground I get 28FPS with SSAO is "high", like 35FPS with "low" and 48 if "disabled". (and all others settings to "Ultra"). Thats an increadable difference for an effect, wich is barely visible at all.

Those 5 FPS is the difference in Stormwind (City Scenario).

Thats a similiar thing like with "transparence antialiasing", wich doesnt make any FPS difference in the city with 2 or 3 trees but that makes a mashine go down to 5 FPS in a forrest, because all these leaves and grasses in WOW are clip mapping instead of polygons.

I understand it takes a hit on performance, I just wanted to compared Ambient Occlusion settings in WoW vs the one in the nVidia control panel.
Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Forgottenbhs wrote:
I understand it takes a hit on performance, I just wanted to compared Ambient Occlusion settings in WoW vs the one in the nVidia control panel.

I dont know how long you played WoW on systems that did not barely run it at mid to high but i will tell you wow runs like crap and you cant really base any results off any settings because when a patch comes out you can take a 10fps hit or gain just from the patch with no changes what so ever. Wow has been like this from the start and it will never get fixed. I remember a time if you tabed out of the gam on the 5th time it would crash you. Only on the 5th time and it did it 100% of the time. When you mix driver settings on diff driver version the results will be very different in wow in terms of the performance hit you take. I seen one driver do a 20fps hit with SSAO maxed and then with another driver it was only 8fps.

@bignazpwns, good to know...I'll reference this thread if people ask about their WOW performance. I don't play it, but knowing how finicky graphics drivers can be, I wouldn't doubt that what you say is possible.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

bignazpwns
Level 11
12263These setting DX11 i have yet to drop under 40fps lvling to lvl 90 and running mogu'shan valts 25m as a tank so i'm in the middle of all the spell effects. Card is running at 835 with a 950 boost