Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Coming from one side of my headphones

nnank76
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a G74SX with i7 2720QM.

Recently my old set of headphones finally went when I got up and moved jerking the cable a little.

I then came home with a cheap set (plantronics gamecom 307). My birthday is in a few weeks and my lovely missus has got me a very nice set on it its way.

Anyway, I plugged them in and i'm only receiving sound through one ear. I have tried them in my phone playing music and it comes out of both. So I'm thinking its not a software issue.

Is there anyway I can tell its the headphone jack rather than software? I googled the problem and it's quite common. There are a lot of fixes tellling you to enable headphones in windows but I can't seem to find that option.

If it is the headphone jack. What sort of cost/repair would I be up for?

Cheers in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
I agree with your findings. It sounds like your laptop's headphone jack may be bad, possibly from when the headphone cable was jerked. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/427556-g51j-a1-owners-lounge-34.html#pos... discusses how the headphone jack works and offers some ideas on how to fix the issue.

If your laptop is still under Warranty, cost may be mimimal, but time spent without your laptop while it is repaired by ASUS may not be... Repair/replacement by a local computer shop may be a faster alternative.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

thanks for your help dude. I looked at that link then followed it's suggestion. Its definitely the audio jack. I was able to now (with a bit of jiggling) get sound in both ears.

If I get a local person to fix it would that void the warranty? I'm not sure if i'm still covered but I thought I took out an extra warranty option.

SUKARA
Level 10
I suggest you can try to contact asus service center check and query about this repair cost first...
asus service center contact information reference to you:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en