cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM overclocking with Maximus V Formula

Calhinho
Level 7
Hello,

The following articles suggest that I should be able to run my 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 DDR3 1600MHz overclocked at 1866MHz using a bit looser timings such as 10-10-9-27-2T or 10-10-9-24 2T:

http://www.corsair.com/blog/corsair-vengeance-high-density-module-overclock-results
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/memory/14852-corsair-vengeance-8x4gb-1600-ddr3-memory?limitstart...
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1740/8/

However I do not seem to achieve stable results with any of the timings listed above. I'm starting to think that there are some settings in Maximus V Formula BIOS that affect RAM overclocking and I haven't altered them correctly.

Is there anything else I need to do than the following steps to achieve a stable 1866MHz overclock?

1. Disabled XMP profile to adjust timings and voltages manually
2. Raised DRAM voltage to 1.650V
3. Raised VCCIO voltage to 1.200V (2nd VCCIO left on Auto)
4. Raised VCCSA voltage to 1.150V
5. Adjusted the timings as 10-10-9-27-2T
6. Raised memory frequency to DDR3-1866MHz
7. Enabled internal PLL overvoltage

With these settings I can get the system to boot but it shuts down at Windows startup. Help is appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There are a whole host of variables in getting this done ...no recipe. As you saw the first link used 1.7 VDIMM all different timings etc.etc.

You will have to experiment. VCCIO up to 1.25 VCCSA up to 1.25 VDIMM up to 1.7....these voltages are too rich for my blood but it's up to you.
The IMC on your CPU may not be up for the challenge..OCing is never a given.

In DIGI+ section look for a few options related to RAM current capability etc.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There are a whole host of variables in getting this done ...no recipe. As you saw the first link used 1.7 VDIMM all different timings etc.etc.

You will have to experiment. VCCIO up to 1.25 VCCSA up to 1.25 VDIMM up to 1.7....these voltages are too rich for my blood but it's up to you.
The IMC on your CPU may not be up for the challenge..OCing is never a given.

In DIGI+ section look for a few options related to RAM current capability etc.

Thanks for your reply but even with these high voltages I wasn't able to get into Windows. I also tried with different phase control settings and upped the RAM current capability to 130%.

Anything else I might try? 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm no expert overclocking RAM so maybe someone who is might be able to stop by with some advice....

Little I do know.....have you tried Tweak Mode 1 in dram timing control.....VCCSA LLC med

One thing you have to know is that the memory controller on your CPU determines in great part your ability to OC RAM if it's a bit weak any number of tweaks wont help you. it simply may not be possible.

You could also try varying BCLK and strap to work out how high above 1600 your RAM will go like try to run it 1650 first then 1700 etc or as near as you can get to those values....