New ROGer Array

Thumbs up G75 LAG with GW2 AND GTA IV

Hello all,

i JUST BOUGHT an asus g75 from best buy after cancelling my alienware mx14 r2 order. It seems great and all but after loading guild wars 2 and gta IV on to it, the gameplay is very choppy and lags. The FPS is very inconsistent. It will be 30-40...jump even higher then crash to 2-7 fps. Now, i did update the drivers for the nvidia gtx 660m. The antivirus i use is microsoft security essentials. The specs on this machine should easily support the gameplay for both of these.

Side note: Yesterday it lagged heavily and i simply couldnt play the games. The day before that, i was able to play both of them, on highest settings with no problem.

Any insight on what the issue is? Should i go into BIOS and disable the internal gpu if it isnt already?

ROG Enthusiast Array AzraelsKiss's Avatar

I fixed the choppiness in GTA IV by installing the latest update of the game itself. I read in forums for other systems with nVidia cards (and a few ATI cards as well) that were having choppiness in various games and read numerous reports of the issues being fixed in the latest updates of the games. Sure enough, once I got the latest update, GTA IV played smooth and pretty.
    ~Azrael's Kiss~

Buildin' my post count one post at a time...

ROG Member Array

LasWei and

Are you playing with you laptop plugged in? What you described is what happens when you play with the battery...

New ROGer Array

Yes that was using the battery. Aaaaannnnddd when it played it fine it was plugged in.... sigh

Ok why is that.....does the battery deliver inconsistent power to the gpu?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by crut7912 View Post
    Yes that was using the battery. Aaaaannnnddd when it played it fine it was plugged in.... sigh

No battery will give you more than 45 minutes when running an intensive 3D application. Also your power settings for the laptop when it's unplugged tend to keep the GPU and CPU cores underclocked to keep the battery from draining too fast.
    Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Designed to work best when plugged in ... is the short answer.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

No system with a descent cpu and cpu will play at full power off the batt. unless you got one wicked battery "Toshibia 12 cell monsters im looking at you."

With the G75 the only way to play when on the battery without the massive lag spikes is to down clock the card to around 450-500mhz

New ROGer Array

Thanks guys. Plugged it in and it runs flawlessly. I'm such a noob.