cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 BIOS that allows fan speed control

WontonNoodle
Level 8
Is there a BIOS that allows fan speed control over the GPU? Can ASUS please make one?

I would like to have it so my GPU fan is not always at 100% and blaring loud. Fan control over the CPU would be nice as well.

I'm currently on 209.
3 REPLIES 3

WontonNoodle
Level 8
bump
please consider

cl-scott
Level 12
This would be a very dangerous thing, because what if the fan should be at 100%, and then you turn it down? You could cause permanent damage to the hardware of the unit. If Asus made this a function of the BIOS, then that would mean that they would have to accept units damaged in this way for RMA repair. So some not so bright person turns the fan speed all the way down, then spends the next few hours playing a game on a hot and humid day with no AC, ends up literally frying their system. Most everyone is going to agree that in such a situation the user is clearly at fault. However, since Asus allowed it, that means it has to take responsibility even for rather questionable decisions like the above.

So I would not go getting my hopes up about this ever coming to pass. Companies like Asus have their hands full dealing with the numerous people trying to scam them getting things repaired that should not qualify for repair. The last thing they want to do is just add one more headache.

Sorry. You might be a very upstanding person who would never expect Asus to fix something you broke, but unfortunately the next 50 people probably aren't. From the perspective of Asus, we have no way of knowing who is and isn't an upstanding customer who would only dream of submitting perfectly legitimate and justified RMAs, and we also have to have a universal policy that applies to everyone.

dstrakele
Level 14
WontonNoodle wrote:
I would like to have it so my GPU fan is not always at 100% and blaring loud.

The GPU Fan should vary in speed with temperature, just like the CPU Fan. HWINFO64 has a GPU Fan Speed Sensor that ALWAYS reports "100%", regardless of what speed the fan is spinning. The EC Sensor that displays CPU and GPU Fan Speed in RPM is not displayed in the HWINFO64 Sensor dialog on G55 systems.

The GPU Fan should be relatively quiet at idle temperatures, running about 2200 RPM. I recommend comparing the fan noise of your G55 to a demo model at a store to determine if the fans in your laptop are excessively loud.
Alternatively, you could post a link to a YouTube video where the camera is held at normal head level and you speak in a normal volume voice for comparison.

I have read a thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18310-Fans-constantly-on-max&) where a G74SX system's fans were running at maximum at idle temperatures, so it IS possible (though very uncommon). A bad fan bearing or improper fan mounting can also result in excessive noise.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT