Page 15 of 97 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

How about this... My birthday is on the 1st of November (it really is), lets make sure I can get this laptop shipped to me before my next work trip (next Monday)

Deal? O_o

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebo View Post
    How about this... My birthday is on the 1st of November (it really is), lets make sure I can get this laptop shipped to me before my next work trip (next Monday)

Deal? O_o
    I second that. ^^

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    I know the N55 is supposed to be really good, I don't know about the N53. Still, good work at keeping the wife happy! Debian, you using? Which window manager?
    TWM (Tom's Window Manager). I have used KDE, Gnome, FVWM, XFCE, and Fluxbox. Absolutely hate Gnome: every version I have ever used seems to break itself (Icons just disappear, menus disappear, settings randomly change). KDE is better, but too huge in memory, too bloated with its useless and broken "K-apps" which just try to do what other apps do (e.g. kpdf versus acrobat). I recently had an epiphany about window managers like KDE and even MS Windows: they simply try to do too much and end up doing much of it poorly and sacrificing other things like performance. I decided simple was best. TWM is the simplest of them all, and the leannest: I can boot linux on my G74 and be running X windows and TWM, all using only 165MB of RAM!! The other WMs are pretty good too (I like fluxbox), but there is something about the simplicity of TWM. But I'd even rather have to deal with GNOME than Microsoft Windows, which won't even load in less than 1.5GB of RAM.

Interesting discussions in this thread. My two cents as a very happy G74 owner: I don't game, but use my notebook as a DTR for my data intensive research. What I appreciate about the G74 is the ability to upgrade: i can put 32GB of RAM in it, and I could put in practically any mobile intel CPU out there today (there are many to choose from with the FCPGA988 socket, even the 3rd gen Ivys), and make it into a "workstation replacement". So I do understand that if I were a gamer, I would also want to be able to choose my GPU and make the most out of my G notebook. I would encourage ASUS to bring back a modular socketed GPU to the G series, and give the user the ability to upgrade the GPU just like one can the CPU. That way those who want to pack their notebook with the 675MX or the 680M can do so. If they violate the very tight tolerances of power and heat limits in a notebook, well...
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Enthusiast Array

So, I decided to join 'cause I'm really into getting a G75VX as soon as it'out. (I'm not English speaking so sry if I make some errors)

I was about to order the G75VW when i saw this post so I decided to sit and spoil every kind of forum in order to get some info. I ended up being said that it will be probably avaiable from november and that it will be revealed next week, but I'm not that sure about that

Anyways, I can get the G75VW right now but Imma wait until the 10th (that's my deadline).

New ROGer Array

Hi Marshal!

Can you please let me know if it will be easier to replace the wlan card in this new model G75VX? As far as I know you must have a intel based wlan card to make WiDi work. This is really my only drawback for not buying Asus instead of a Clevo based laptop.

EDIT:
    Just found out that WiDi also requires Intel HD Graphics which is disabled on the Asus. That's gonna "force" me to buy a Clevo instead
    Hopefully Asus will release a model with Intel graphics enabled + easier access to the wlan card.
    Last edited by Clarify; 10-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Just signed up on this forum as I'm anxiously awaiting the G75VX. As with everyone else I have a few questions:

1. Will the new model include a different motherboard sporting an additional mSATA slot? That would really sell me on the model.
    2. Will it have Optimus/Switchable Graphics enabled? Not really that big of a deal, but I feel like I'm paying for hardware (Intel HD 4000) that is unusable.
    3. Would it be possible to cram a WD Green 2TB HDD in any of the G75 models? Yes, it's a 2.5" drive but 15mm thick... honestly I don't even know why it's on the market

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Adyghost View Post
    1. Will the new model include a different motherboard sporting an additional mSATA slot? That would really sell me on the model.
    2. Will it have Optimus/Switchable Graphics enabled? Not really that big of a deal, but I feel like I'm paying for hardware (Intel HD 4000) that is unusable.
    3. Would it be possible to cram a WD Green 2TB HDD in any of the G75 models? Yes, it's a 2.5" drive but 15mm thick... honestly I don't even know why it's on the market
    1. Sadly, I dont see them changing the formfactor without naming the unit G76... Will undoubtedly be using the same formfactor as the G75GW
    2. From what I have read (and I'm sure I'll either get corrected, or backed up on) if you get the 3D version of the G75VX, Switchable graphics will be disabled. As long as its a non-3D model, there should be no issues.
    3. The hard drive you are talking about I believe is intended for Server solutions... but there is a 2TB model intended for laptops ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA )

Hope this helped you out =-D

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

1. Sadly, I dont see them changing the formfactor without naming the unit G76... Will undoubtedly be using the same formfactor as the G75GW
    2. From what I have read (and I'm sure I'll either get corrected, or backed up on) if you get the 3D version of the G75VX, Switchable graphics will be disabled. As long as its a non-3D model, there should be no issues.
    3. The hard drive you are talking about I believe is intended for Server solutions... but there is a 2TB model intended for laptops ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA )

Thanks. Most of the threads I read suggest all models have Optimus disabled, regardless of the 3D option. And that's actually the hard drive I was referring to, it's 15mm thick so I was wondering if it fits in the G75. If it does I'd get that plus a caching SSD, if not... I'll just go with two 750GB hybrids

EDIT: Even the Newegg reviews warn the 2TB HDD won't fit in most, if any laptops. Too bad... especially since there's no mSATA slot.
    Last edited by Adyghost; 10-28-2012 at 06:33 PM.

@fostert, I may have to try that window manager. I like LXDE a lot, personally. XFCE is also nice, I fail to see much of a difference between those two. Gnome is buggy, as is Unity (though it has gotten better), but KDE is far too bloated.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

New ROGer Array

Are you absolutely sure about switchable graphic to Intel HD4000? I need to be sure cause not I'm unable to use Intels WiDi technology

Page 15 of 97 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast