Page 16 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clarify View Post
    Are you absolutely sure about switchable graphic to Intel HD4000? I need to be sure cause not I'm unable to use Intels WiDi technology
    None of the G-series use switchable graphics. Optimus cuts the performance because it requires the Intel card to do the screen-updating (think playing back a 1080p movie). Also, it entails OEM-only driver upgrades, which means that you get locked out of cool new features in the nVidia drivers.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    None of the G-series use switchable graphics. Optimus cuts the performance because it requires the Intel card to do the screen-updating (think playing back a 1080p movie). Also, it entails OEM-only driver upgrades, which means that you get locked out of cool new features in the nVidia drivers.
    Me likey the thought of that... still, I suppose there are no mods implementing Optimus afterwards? The loss of WiDi is substantial to some people, not to mention the HD 4000 is leaps ahead previous versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    This is so false and factually wrong that it isn't even funny.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by About.com View Post
    What is Optimus?

Optimus is a technology by NVIDIA that automatically adjusts graphics based on how you're using the device to better conserve battery power on a laptop computer. Sometimes this is referred to as a hybrid graphics system.

How does Optimus work?

Optimus transitions between integrated graphics and a discrete GPU automatically based upon what applications a user launches so you can utilize high performance graphics during gameplay or when watching an HD movie. When you're done or are simply surfing the web, Optimus-enabled systems can switch to integrated graphics to prolong battery life, which is a win-win for users.

What are the benefits of using a laptop with Optimus technology?

The key benefit of using a notebook with Optimus technology is better battery life as the system isn't running the more power demanding discrete graphics card non-stop. By automatically switching between integrated graphics to a dedicated graphics card, you'll find battery life to improve in mixed computer usage situations. Since the system is done automatically, it also improved upon previous hybrid graphics systems that required the users to manually switch between the two graphics systems.
    how Optimus works... I honestly don't see the performance decrease... it's not like AMD's solution O_o

Figured we should get some news in the next couple of weeks. The G46 was announced on September 21 and it was released 4 days ago...

ROG Enthusiast Array

idk if I can last a few weeks... my F5 key and this forum are taking a beating

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebo View Post
    3. The hard drive you are talking about I believe is intended for Server solutions... but there is a 2TB model intended for laptops ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA )
    I got excited about this until I read WD's fine print:
    "Cannot be used in laptop or notebook computers. Designed for PCs and custom external enclosures. "

However, newegg's header says its an "Internal Notebook Hard Drive"

I'm soooo confused....
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Looks like I'm stuck with my 2X750GB Hybrid drives... IMO Asus would really benefit from an additional mSATA port in the G75 models.

ROG Enthusiast Array

What I'm planning on getting a 256 SSD for OS/Main Program/Game Storage, using the 750 hybrid as additional Program/game storage, and using my networked 2TB drive for large storage duties

I have found that I have a hard time filling up 750 gigs solely with the programs and games that I play (Unless I get a bug up my ass to install EVERY GAME i have in my steam library)

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    I got excited about this until I read WD's fine print:
    "Cannot be used in laptop or notebook computers. Designed for PCs and custom external enclosures. "

However, newegg's header says its an "Internal Notebook Hard Drive"

I'm soooo confused....
    Newegg gets things confused. I'd bet against it working. It might be pulling more power than most notebooks supply, in addition to being thicker.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 16 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast