Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

G75 Screen going black

Update: It doesn't necessarily go black. It just goes a solid color. I've seen orange, blue, red, and black.

Okay, I know a lot of people are having problems with G55/75 but I really haven't except for two things.

I have this weird problem where out of nowhere the screen will kind of turn off. By turn off, I mean the backlights are still on, but the screen just went black. A restart was required to fix this.

The second time this happened, it didn't go exactly black, but had a reddish tint to the screen. Required a restart all the same.

I am unsure if the entire computer is freezing with this, as the only way I would be able to tell is if something with audio was running while it happened (which hasn't happened yet).

The only other problem I have is that after a while the mouse will start to freeze and stop responding, which I'm pretty sure has been reported many times.

Anyone else have this screen problem like me? I'm not sure if it's a video card thing, or maybe just drivers, which nvidia really needs to freaking come out with non-beta drivers for this thing.

Edit: To clarify I have the G75-BBK5 from Best Buy.

Edit 2: Also, it's not a boot to black screen. The screen goes black in the middle of using it. For example, I logged in to Gmail, was looking through email, and then it just went black. The backlighting was still on as mentioned above.
    Last edited by hoboX10; 09-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

can you still return it for a new one?
    it almost sounds like you have a faulty graphics card.
    can you download hwinfo64 and log the temperatures just encase it might be over heating?
    What driver are you using?(im on the latest beta)
    Did you remove McAfee anti virus?
    G75vw DS71
    3610QM I7
    16GB Ram 1600mhz
    750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
    Nvidia gtx 660m
    Purple Keyboard mod
    Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Holy View Post
    can you still return it for a new one?
    it almost sounds like you have a faulty graphics card.
    can you download hwinfo64 and log the temperatures just encase it might be over heating?
    What driver are you using?(im on the latest beta)
    Did you remove McAfee anti virus?
    I think it's been more than the 30 days from Best Buy :\ If not it's extremely close. I'll have to check.
    I'm pretty sure the temperatures are fine. I'm also pretty sure the graphics card is working correctly. I'm on the drivers that it came with (295.XX something) because I don't want to use beta drivers. I was able to run the Crysis 3 engine at 1080p on max settings and still get about 35-40 FPS which means that the graphics card is definitely working. Also during that they only ever reached 60C.
    And yes I removed all bloatware.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Try the 304.79 BETA driver. Boot into Windows Safe Mode and perform a clean install - choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

Create a System Restore Point prior to the BETA driver installation and you can easily undo the installation. You've got nothing to lose if you are beyond the exchange/return period.

BIOS version 210 for the G75 is a vbios update. Unfortunately, ASUS did not document what video issue this vbios update addresses. Perhaps Richard or Scott can find out for us. I can't see why they would need to keep this a secret...

If you do choose to update your vbios with BIOS 210, be sure to copy theBIOS file to a flash drive that is formatted to FAT32, then use the EasyFlash utility in your BIOS to install it.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 07-15-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Try the 304.79 BETA driver. Boot into Windows Safe Mode and perform a clean install - choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

Create a System Restore Point prior to the BETA driver installation and you can easily undo the installation. You've got nothing to lose if you are beyond the exchange/return period.

BIOS version 210 for the G75 is a vbios update. Unfortunately, ASUS did not document what video issue this vbios update addresses. Perhaps Richard or Scott can find out for us. I can't see why they would need to keep this a secret...

If you do choose to update your vbios with BIOS 210, be sure to copy theBIOS file to a flash drive that is formatted to FAT32, then use the EasyFlash utility in your BIOS to install it.
    Oh a BIOS update, I checked just the other day and it wasn't there before. Hopefully that will fix it, and don't worry I know how to flash a BIOS. I suppose I will also try the beta drivers.

The problem is this problem has only happened twice since getting the laptop, about a month ago, so it's really hard to test if anything is fixing the problem.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hoboX10 View Post
    Anyone else have this screen problem like me?
    Yes, in fact my Australian G75 is at Asus as we speak for the very same problem. It started intermittently and I thought it was just a particular game. Then more frequent, then too frequent.

I could put my left hand on the palmrest and it did it, twisting the body holding the front corners did it. Something wrong somewhere.

I have asked for a replacement as it was only 2 weeks of age when it started. I have had 7 other notebooks and not one of them had any issues. My first Asus and bingo. It is also the most expensive. Not impressed.

New ROGer Array

I just picked my Asus G75VW-T1134V up today and I had only been playing around with it for a couple of hours when my screen all of a sudden went black whilst still clearly being on/the backlight being on. I tried pressing various keys/keycombinations but nothing at all happened. I had to do a hard reset by holding down the powerbutton in order to "fix it". I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when this occurred - I was simply browsing some folders within windows explorer.

This got me a little worried and I googled "Asus G75 screen went black" and the first search result led me here.

hoboX10, have you tried flashing BIOS and updating the gpu driver? If so, have you experienced the screen going black since then? (I know that it has only been three days and you only experienced the error twice in a month.)

BuxuB (especially) and others, what are your thoughts on my situation? Is this just a one time thing caused by faulty software/drivers or do I have a real problem on my hands. At one hand I don't really want to go through the hazzle of returning the laptop unnecessarily but at the other hand I don't wanna end up with a hardware problem that will come back and haunt me in the long run.

New ROGer Array

Im also having the same issue. I first experienced this 8 days ago and have to restart by pressing the power button. Then after not using my laptop for 5 days i experience it again. But this time it went black twice right after a couple of minutes of booting and rebooting. I bought my G75 from bestbuy this May. My driver is 964 version.
    Last edited by zac31; 07-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.

ROG Member Array

For anyone having this problem, either get it back to your retailer for a replacement or refund ASAP or call your service centre for an urgent RMA. Don't muck around with it. There is an issue somewhere as it would not be happening. It was almost like a loose connection somewhere, hence the intermittent behaviour in my unit, but I could reproduce it consistently by moving the front corners of the body up and down in opposite, one up the other down, slightly twisting the chassis. Have you guys tried that? Mine did it with just slight twisting.

Mine wasn't only doing the black screen lockup dance, it also liked to play with colours as well before it decided to blackout for a hard reset. I had horizontal streaks, then some parts of the desktop mixed in, parts black and streaks. Not a good look for a 2.5K beast.

I had a call from the Asus Tech rep just today and he said they will DOA it, as it is just a baby. So let's see how long a new one takes to arrive. I certainly do like the G75, it is one cool beast in more ways than one. Boots quick, can play anything I throw at it. Is quiet and doesn't get hot. Here's hoping that a new one won't be too far away. It certainly is the best of the bunch I have here.

New ROGer Array

I just updated my Bios from version 207 to 210 but still Im having a black screen issue.

@HoboX10, Have you tried returning your G75 to Bestbuy?

@BuxuB, I will try to call Asus tech regarding this issue. And hopefully they can resolved this problem. Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast