Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Asus G75WV lags when not plugged in

For some reason my Asus G75VW laptop fps significantly decreases when i play games when its not plugged in. Is there a way to fix this?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Maybe your power plan is automatically switched to Power Saver, Balanced, etc.

Try switching it to High Performance and see how that goes for you.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array mrwolf's Avatar

lol.. no dont try switching to high performance.. That is something you do when its plugged in. When it is not plugged in it will perform badly, thats just how all gaming performance laptops are. Even alienwares.

The idea behind it is the fact that you need much more power to power you GPU and CPU at high speeds and you will never be able to achieve this when not plugged in.

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Long story short, you shouldn't be gaming on battery power. Having the CPU and GPU working at full tilt will suck the battery dry in very short order. Think of the battery on gaming laptops more like a UPS. It provides a short window in which to shut your system down gracefully. Otherwise, portable means that you can move it from one outlet to another much more easily than a desktop.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

If you must game on the battery. drop the core clock on your gpu to about 500mhz and you wont get the lag however you will need to drop your graphic settings. Also expect to buy a new battery sooner then you normaly would because the cpu and gpu will kill that battery pretty easy with how much power they can suck at loack.

ROG Member Array

how do i drop the core clock to 500mhz?

Use something like MSI afterburner then just move the core slider to the left till the lag stops. On my G75 it was about 495-500mhz

ROG Member Array

Now when i download MSI AFTERBURNER what exactly is this gonna do for my gpu.... is it a performance booster and will affect my battery ife at all?

ROG Member Array

Guys, seriously this is stupid! Gaming on battery power - WTF!!! This is a Desktop replacement! It's a 4 kilos of pure gaming machine. It's meant to be played on external power! After all, the external power brick is 150+W for no other reason but because the computer uses so much power, and the laptop cannot receive that much power just from its battery. Down clocking is like buying a Ferrari and putting a Fiat engine in it.... Get real!
    Last edited by freefall; 10-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    Guys, seriously this is stupid! Gaming on battery power - WTF!!! This is a Desktop replacement! It's a 4 kilos of pure gaming machine. It's meant to be played on external power! After all, the external power brick is 150+W for no other reason but because the computer uses so much power, and the laptop cannot receive that much power just from its battery. Down clocking is like buying a Ferrari and putting a Fiat engine in it.... Get real!
    Ok some times i like to get on wow to check the auction house or do a few quick quest. Downclocking it is called getting use out of it. It's a laptop not a desktop replacement. I mean have you tryed to downclock the gpu and see what preform drop their is? Nope like most people you just QQ about stuff you never done or never will.

If he wants to game on the battery its his laptop and he can your not the power supply police .

Tell you what lets just do this the easy and fast way. Install nvidia inspector.

open it and click show overclocking then click ok.

Now click create clock short cut.

Copy that file on your desktop name one stock and one soothing like underrclocked

Right click and click properties. Under target it will read something like this
    "C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setpowertarget:0,111 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,#### -setMemoryClock:0,2,3000 -forcepstate:0,2

The main thing you wanna do is match that to mine after "C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" And replace #### with your clock like for a example 450 for 450mhz on the stock. What this will do is when you click it it will force the card over to its gaming pstate at the clock you set up. This can be a underclock, stock clock or a overclock. Basically your doing by hand what the software does when you start a game. But you now have full control over this.

For mine i have 3 set up. Underclock 525mhz for playing on the battery. Stock and a overclock. I just click these back and forth when needed. Now you wont see a huge improvement in battery but you will get some. Also you might have to go a little lower then what i get or you might be able to get higher without lagging on the battery since each system is diffront. You will need to test this out and see what works best for you. Then if you restart your system will revert back to stock untill you click the shortcuts you mate and start forcing the pstates.

If you need any help head over to http://forum.notebookreview.com/gami...stability.html When your underclocking its the same as overclocking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast