cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus gtx 580 dcii as dedicated physx

dp69
Level 7
Hi peeps just hoping for some opinions on a do i dont i. Ive just popped a new 680 dcii in my crosshair 5 and my 580 is back in the box it came in and in a drawer, Ive no want or need to sell this 580 as its flippin good and allways handy should i need a backup, but as its available and i can , i thought why not use for physx along side the 680. Sounds good but the more i look into it the more mixed opinions i find, is it worth it , will it be interesting just to try. I know its more heat more noise more power and not many titles really use physx but what the hell what i got to lose. Then we come to the driver issue, im told that drivers need modding and this im not sure about having never have, is the mod easy, poss risky ? Any advice is welcome. Cheers
5 REPLIES 5

Zka17
Level 16
What are you using your pc for? For most things a single GTX680 is more than enough... you could sell that GTX580 and get a second GTX680 for a SLI setup if you need more VGA power...

ZKa17 cheers for reply, im droppin another 680 in the mix in a couple month, but as i said i have no need of selling the 580. I was/am curious about the physx side of things, even when the other 680 sli is setup ill still have this curiosity niggling at me. Only issue is when i sli the rig putting 3 dcii cards will fit but not well so im also getting 3 full cover blocks and custom w/c everything. At the moment im just cooling cpu with a closed loop antec, so i will custom loop for the 680 sli and lose the antec at the same time. but do i add the 580 to the 680 sli ? Ive fallen head over heels for Frankenstien pc and he got 580 sli 3- way but before that was running 2 580's and a 460 as physx. I will do it of this im sure just unsure about the driver side of things. cheers anyway.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You won't be able to add the 580 to the 680 SLI, unfortunately Nvidia are pains in the rear end with that kinda thing. I'd normally suggest going to the Nvid Forums and having a look around for your answers, but they are apparently still down, so you're only other option is to Google it and learn from there about Phsyx.

emilpapis93
Level 7
there would be no point in using a 580 as dedicated physx since you already have a more then capeable gpu. Quite honestly i have no idea why you are asking this? Arent you getting like 100fps on borderlands with everything on ultra and physx on? And thats the latest physx title. The 580 as dedicated physx would be absolutely useless since your gpu have no problem handling it on its own. If you're not up for selling it i'll say let it stay in the box until at game comes out where you really need it.
Even metro on ultra and physx on should be no problem for the 680.

dp69
Level 7
As i said before ive come across mixed opinions, some peeps have stated jumps in frame rates from 3-30, the 30 frames i find a little hard to believe. Its also the fact that i know the 680 can blitz most title's easily and then offloading the physx onto a 580 is gonna give me stupid high figures and really let the 680 fly. And when i sli with another 680 my rig is gonna be damn near untouchable. I guess what im really asking is can someone point me in the direction of a clue on driver mods to do this if indeed i need to. Thanks for your opinions anywayz guyz