Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 107
  1. #11
    ROG Enthusiast Array 339683032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Why not get a Closed Loop Water Cooler? that way you won't worry about RAM/VGA clearance.
    Well, I think that air cooling will be enough if I want to overclock this CPU. I'll keep water cooling in mind though.

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    221

    Quote Originally Posted by 339683032 View Post
    Thanks, and I may change the cooler, SSD, and Hard Drive. For the keyboard and mouse, I personally prefer something from Razer, since I used their products before. I would like to add another GTX 690 GPU when it's less expensive. However, I would still consider the Mavimus V Formula/Thunder FX. As for the power, would 850W be enough if I want to over clock the CPU? Also, I'm not sure a 27" display would fit on my desk as it is already very crowded and I would like the display ratio to be kept at 16:9.

    Thanks for you other recommendations, I will change the parts accordingly.
    I agree with Marshall for most of his recommendations. If you are considering an SLI with 2 690s (4 gpus) then you should be looking at 1000W+ PSUs. I would suggest something like Corsair's AX1200 or AX1200i. Though with only one display you really won't need more than one 690 for most games. The Formula can easily handle to two card SLI, the extreme would be for a 3 card SLI. Though you will want a case that you can have a fan(s) blowing on the cards. I don't know NZXT cases, so I don't know if that will work for that.

    For an SSD, I would suggest the Samsung 640. They have a reputation for reliable drives and it seems like the one to beat in benchmarks.

  3. #13
    ROG Enthusiast Array 339683032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Quote Originally Posted by danjw View Post
    I agree with Marshall for most of his recommendations. If you are considering an SLI with 2 690s (4 gpus) then you should be looking at 1000W+ PSUs. I would suggest something like Corsair's AX1200 or AX1200i. Though with only one display you really won't need more than one 690 for most games. The Formula can easily handle to two card SLI, the extreme would be for a 3 card SLI. Though you will want a case that you can have a fan(s) blowing on the cards. I don't know NZXT cases, so I don't know if that will work for that.

    For an SSD, I would suggest the Samsung 640. They have a reputation for reliable drives and it seems like the one to beat in benchmarks.
    At the max, I would only go for a two card SLI. I have selected the 1300W PSU for this purpose, but I'm looking into other brands as well.

  4. #14
    iron man Array kkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Reputation
    243
    Posts
    6,112

    i know my case ( switch 810 big tower ) have a 140/120 fan on each hdd tray blowing on to the cards ( i took it away so ) direction front to back.

  5. #15
    ROG Enthusiast Array 339683032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    i know my case ( switch 810 big tower ) have a 140/120 fan on each hdd tray blowing on to the cards ( i took it away so ) direction front to back.
    I checked the NZXT Phantom, and it included two 120mm side fans; I could also add another 200mm or 230mm onto the side. A top LED 120mm fan and a 120mm rear fan is also included. The front could take another 140mm fan, so I would like to fill it with a good fan.

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    221

    Quote Originally Posted by 339683032 View Post
    At the max, I would only go for a two card SLI. I have selected the 1300W PSU for this purpose, but I'm looking into other brands as well.
    I tend to use cases and PSUs for multiple builds. So I tend to put extra research in on those items when I am planning to replace them.

    One mistake that is common for people new to PC building is applying too much thermal interface material to the heatsink. Be sure to find a video or two on youtube to get a good idea of how it is done.

  7. #17
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    9
    Posts
    239

    I throw this advice out often it seems;

    If you're willing to spend $300+ on a motherboard, and $300+ on a cpu, look at x79.
    If you care about pcie lanes, x79 has 40 lanes from the cpu instead of 16 like the 3770k (z77).
    if you care about overclocking, x79 doesnt have the TIM problem that ivy bridge (z77) has
    if you care about upgrading, or expandability x79 isn't a dead platform like ivy bridge is (z77 chipset will not run anything other than ivy bridge). x79 runs sandy bridge-e and will run ivy-bridge-e which comes out in 2013, so you can upgrade just your chip if you're looking for more CPU at that time.
    x79 also supports quad channel ram.

    Some other advice:

    Let your "use case" and budget determine your hardware. It probably doesn't make sense to get tri, quad or 4-way SLI unless you are running ultra wide resolutions (3 monitor setups). If you are just running a normal monitor 1900x1200, save yourself some money and get a i5-3570k and a single 680, or possibly dual 680s if you're feeling rich. You wont need more than that. But if you want to go higher end than this, x79 starts to make a lot of sense.

    690's are neat, but they are not cost/performance efficient. I see them as a viable solution only when you're trying to get 4 gpus on a z77 board you've already purchased (i.e. you're already locked in), or if space is a huge concern and your case can only physically fit 2 cards. (if you've got 2 thousand dollars to throw at graphics and you're just starting out, get a platform that supports it natively, not z77),
    Otherwise, assuming you have the space and the pcie lanes for it - you are better off buying multiple discrete cards (2, 3 or 4 680s). They perform better (overclock higher) and are more cost effective than multi-gpu cards.
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-11-2012 at 01:59 AM.

  8. #18
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U
    _'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    119
    Posts
    5,750

    Quote Originally Posted by 339683032 View Post
    Thanks, and I may change the cooler, SSD, and Hard Drive. For the keyboard and mouse, I personally prefer something from Razer, since I used their products before. I would like to add another GTX 690 GPU when it's less expensive. However, I would still consider the Mavimus V Formula/Thunder FX. As for the power, would 850W be enough if I want to over clock the CPU? Also, I'm not sure a 27" display would fit on my desk as it is already very crowded and I would like the display ratio to be kept at 16:9.

    Thanks for you other recommendations, I will change the parts accordingly.
    If you're only running 1080p then 2x690s will be excessive. One will give you ample performance. If you were running 5760x1080 (3 monitor) then I'd see your point

    Also agree with others - 3930K + Rampage IV Formula + 2x680s with PCIe 3.0 patch. More bandwidth, more upgrade path, 6 core CPU lasting you a long while

    Z77 chipset will still run Sandy Bridge CPUs (if you can find one) - so not 'only' Ivy Bridge Plus Intel has yet to announce Ivy-E officially :P
    Last edited by _; 10-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.

  9. #19
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    9
    Posts
    239

    well.. point taken but i mainly mean that it wont run haswell. Anyway buying sandy bridge for z77 is... sorta silly, even though it clocks higher you are stuck with pcie2.0 in that scenario, and clock for clock, ivy beats sandy. In the end i realize if you overclock it to the extreme, sandy can win in gaming over ivy, but you really have to ask if its worth it to run the chips so hot for everyday use. Plus IVY saves more power. I would almost never recommend SB over IB for z77.

  10. #20
    ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    199
    Posts
    8,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaanix View Post
    well.. point taken but i mainly mean that it wont run haswell. Anyway buying sandy bridge for z77 is... sorta silly, even though it clocks higher you are stuck with pcie2.0 in that scenario, and clock for clock, ivy beats sandy. In the end i realize if you overclock it to the extreme, sandy can win in gaming over ivy, but you really have to ask if its worth it to run the chips so hot for everyday use. Plus IVY saves more power. I would almost never recommend SB over IB for z77.
    Well, I did try both Sandy Bridge (2700k) and Ivy Bridge (3770k)... I did push them as hard as I could (under water cooling)... - and I would just not write down the Sandy Bridge yet... certainly not over the Ivy Bridge! It's true, the PCIe 3.0 is a nice feature, but when the CPU performance matters, Sandy Bridge is still the king between those two!

    Ivy actually doesn't really saves power either... as it needs higher voltages for the same frequencies... and at higher voltages, despite it's 22nm design, produces more heat! - at least these are my experiences...

    So, I definitely would recommend Sandy Bridge in a Z77 mobo when the budget is a limiting factor...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •