Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Sandy isn't that much cheaper than ivy though. (at least not when i checked last). With ivy you can get like 4.3 ghz with almost no increase in voltage, so you do save quite a bit of power. (ask yourself if pushing it another 3-400 mhz is worth all the extra heat, power etc for daily use).

If Ivy Bridge-E comes out, it will be after Haswell hits the market. Ivy Bridge-E will be last generation hardware. The only reason to go with a Socket 2011 system is if you really need all the memory bandwidth of 4 channel memory over the 2 channel memory in Ivy Bridge systems. Sure the 2011 has more PCIe lanes, but they are 2.0, until and if Ivy Bridge-E comes out. Why are some people trying to pimp the 2011 platform when its benefits are very limited? I keep seeing people suggesting this over the Ivy Bridge platform and just don't get it. Sure you are are doing VERY memory intensive tasks, it wins. If you have a heavily threaded CPU bound application, it wins on that too. Those who fall into that that group of users mostly will know that they need those things. The rest are better served with Ivy Bridge.

They are 3.0. Although 3.0 isnt blessed because they dont want to field support calls on it, it already works fine on SB-E, and just needs to be enabled, which is easy to do. I have it running myself.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=

I already listed all the reasons why at that price point, (300$ chip and 300$ board), x79 starts making more sense. For less than this, sure, go z77 with no regrets, but at that price, i think x79 is simply a better decision because of superior upgrade path, pcie lanes, memory bandwidth, extra cores, etc. Any ONE of these things could be enough to make someone switch, given equal price, but the combination of all of them together make the decision easy.
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Also i don't expect Haswell to outperform Ivy-Bridge-E. Intel has already handicapped ivy bridge with TIM in order to protect the performance segment (SB-E). I think they simply will not allow the midrange segment to outperform the high end segment again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaanix View Post
    Also i don't expect Haswell to outperform Ivy-Bridge-E. Intel has already handicapped ivy bridge with TIM in order to protect the performance segment (SB-E). I think they simply will not allow the midrange segment to outperform the high end segment again.
    You missed the if for Ivy Bridge-E. It hasn't been announced by Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by danjw View Post
    You missed the if for Ivy Bridge-E. It hasn't been announced by Intel.
    http://www.overclocking-tv.com/conte...later-in-2013/

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but.... are you saying you don't believe that ivy bridge-e is coming out at all?

I don't really care if the announcement is "official" or not. (SB-E doesnt "officially" support pcie3.0 but i run it just fine...). IB-E is all over the net just google for it. Its shown up in enough places that its more than just a rumor. The question isn't IF it will come out but WHEN.

We even know some pretty nice details about the capability:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel...s-295703.shtml
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusiv...10-/17314.html
    As for the gaming CPU SKUs, let's hope at least 8 out of 12 cores will be enabled.
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Xaanix View Post
    Both are entirely different markets - for mass threading and many PCIe lanes then socket 2011 will always win. Haswell has specific advantages though and I strongly advise you read the in depth Anandtech article they produced recently on its architecture. It's got some impressive and fundamental improvements that should see a good performance increase, depending on the situation, over Ivy.

What will appear for Core i7 (i.e. non-Xeon) Ivy-E is yet to be known. It could only be a $1000 X part, it might be a whole range, it might be canned for Xeon only. Stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by _; 10-12-2012 at 07:10 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array LukeeVassallo PC Specs
    LukeeVassallo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus V Formula
    Processori7 - 3770k
    Graphics Card #1Matrix 780ti
    Storage #1Force GT 240GB
    Power SupplyAX860
    OS 7, 8.1, 10, ubuntu

I would go with 1600mhz memory, ( 16gb still and dominator platinum ).... The2400Mhz are just factory overclocked memory.

Regarding to Gtx 690 I would go with one gpu because when this card won't be powerful enough to drive games other gpu's will be faster and have newer technologies which will give BETTER performance. ( because the 690 is a one hell of a gpu )

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by LukeeVassallo View Post
    The2400Mhz are just factory overclocked memory.
    It uses ICs that are binned to do that speed. Memory itself is driven by the frequency determined in the CPU memory controller.

I disagree that they're entirely different markets.

For a gamer, CPU performance, Graphics performance, memory Performance, everything.. it all matters. Intel's optimal business plan would capitalize on the entire spectrum (with minimal production costs, by handicapping/disabling features), offering gradual increases in features/performance at each price tier.

It doesn't make sense for them to offer a product for gamers at a low price point that is entirely superior to their more expensive product offerings.

Sure hypothetically, Intel could release it as Xeon only.. but from a business perspective, it would probably not make sense. They would be entirely cutting out the performance desktop segment (shown on that roadmap slide) for a full year or more.

Some people will want the extra cores or additional bandwidth, they wont leave a gaping hole in their product line for such a long time (until haswell-e??)

Also note: that slide is for desktops skus, not servers. (no Xeons are listed anywhere).

So if that slide is legitimate, and i have almost no doubt that it is, we can safely assume ivy-e as a desktop sku, 1 year from now.
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-12-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast