New ROGer Array

Issues with headset

Hey guys hoping someone can help me out here.

I just got my MVF system up and running, and I ran into a problem when I tried to get my headset working.

I have the http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...orce-dx11.aspx headset and used it with my last MB (Asus Commando) and it worked just fine.

The problem that I am having is that this headset has a Dolby Digital/Pro Logic Surround sound processor with it. The Mic bypasses this and plugs directly into the rear panel so it works just fine. The Audio, however plugs in to this box and it has a usb passthrough to power the headset. The sound processor then plugs into the back panel via the optical port.

The problem that I am having is that I cannot get Realtek to send the audio to the optical port. Ideally it would send the same audio to both my surround sound speakers and headset both at the same time like my old commado did. That way I don't have to change any setting when I want to use my headset I can just turn off my speakers.

I can use the headset in the front panel using the mic/headphone/usb ports, but this causes a couple issue I would prefer to avoid.

First of all realtek doesn't recognize my headset as being 7.1, so I get just straight stereo sound. Which I suppose isn't that big of a deal.

However, when i do connect my headset using the front panel I get a fairly significant amount of hiss. It is enough of an issue to have given me a headache after about 20 mins of testing. I doubt I will be able to handle it in the background during gaming.

TL;DR version
    Optical out won't play same audio as rear speakers. Headset is crap with out it.
    Anyway to make the optical out play same audio as speakers?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array oG kill3r PC Specs
    oG kill3r PC Specs
    MotherboardEvga Z97 Classified
    Processori7 4790k
    Memory (part number)G.skill Trident X 2400 32gb
    Graphics Card #1Evga Titan X
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorAsus VG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 250gb SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 512gb Pro SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCorsair 760T
    Power SupplyEvga 1300 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Evga Torq X10
    Headset Sennheiser PC 350 SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Im getting the same thing with my logitech G35 , i have them plugged into the front usb and i can't hear anything ? I did load the drivers for my G35's , could that be causing a conflict ?

New ROGer Array

Hey oG, I have been looking into this and I am pretty sure that your issue is a windows 7 issue. Not sure though, however I did find this link that maybe of some help to you with your issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c29bf4a?auth=1

I still can not figure out exactly what is going on with my headset though.

I was messing with it a little more this morning and I rechecked to make sure that I had everything set up correctly from a hardware and software stand point. Everything looks good. I have the digital optical out set as my default audio device and since my DSS doesn't support DTS I made sure that was turned off.

I shows a little sound bar registering that there is sound being output through the toslink, but what I did notice is that the optical port on the back of my motherboard is not lit up. Ususally you can see a red light in your optical port and can see it through the other end of the toslink cable when it is plugged in.

So even though windows says audio is being sent there I really don't think that it is.

If you guys have any ideas that might help me out here I would appreciate hearing them.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

hiss indicates a motherboard failure , i guess you dont have another source of opticals ? being expensive ;( just to make sure

though your headphone amp might be blown as S/PDIF is 2 channel sound , AES3 is four channel , so there is something wrong in the amplification to 7.1 , check your config in windows matches your realtek alignment , bootup your old sys to check your headset to see if faulty , don't run beta drivers unless you are a modda , won't be long before we get digital 7.1 straight through , it unlikely that a ROG board wouldn't sync , so my money is on RMA

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the replies.

@ t3kn33k
    I think that the hiss is caused by interference due to the USB power connection. I did try using the headset today while gaming for a bit then watched a movie and the hiss didn't effect me as much as I originally assumed. However, I would still prefer not to have to plug the set in and unplug it everytime I want to switch between them and my speakers. Plus I like having everything plugged into the back. Looks nicer than sticking out of the front.

Also I am not sure what you mean by another source of opticals? If you mean another place you plug in the headset yes I do. I have my old computer. I did as you suggested and tried plugging my headset back into that system and they worked perfectly. Very frustrating.

it could be a windows thing too like the other guy , so partition or grab and usb external drive and download windows 8 client preview its free for 90 days just to test if windows 7 is too old for your new config and the good thing about asus is their the leaders and already have win 8 drivers , if you get the same errors you know its the digital sound which i'm gathering being no optical light display , so if windows 8 doesn't solve your problems you just got unlucky my friend with a dud board , it happened to me when fatal1ty brought out the z68 with asrock asus's little brother and they replaced it brand new and my bios would reboot into it from windows for no reason worse than yours but still a problem is a problem and it can happen to the best of us ... so give windows 8 a trial if not send back your mobo for a new one

New ROGer Array

Final Update and Thoughts

Thanks again for the replies and assistance.

I do not know what caused my optical out to start working. I was working on stuff totally unrelated and at some point during a series of reboots the optical port started working.

So, that is good now.

However, I am still unable to route my default sound to both my optical port and to my speakers at the same time. So, I have decided to just use the headset without the DSS using the front panel connectors.

Banned Array

I use simple Stereo Headset and can confirm there is an issue with Realtek software not switching correctly between speaker mode (I use old 5.1 speakers) and headset (stereo). for me whenever I plug my headset into the FP audio connector then upon disconnecting the Speakers (in Realtek) stay in Stereo Mode instead of reverting to System Default - Speakers set as 5.1. that would be a Realtek HD driver/software issue.

as per noise/hissing when connected through FP header, that could be related to the routing of FP audio wire in the case, keep it away from power cables, especially the 6-pin PCIe cables running to video cards, otherwise you will get the louder hissing/buzzing noise the higher the FPS in game