Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

If you are looking at keeping the system as quiet as possible, then you should consider liquid cooling for the graphics cards as well. Though, it can get very expensive, if that is an issue. I expect the loudest part of the system will be the graphics card fans.

If i had a 3500$ budget i'd get a 3rd card now and rock out with tri-SLI. I currently have 2 gtx 680's (2gb). If i had the chance i'd go for 3 gtx 680 4gb versions.
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Profeus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbak86 View Post
    You won't have any problem cooling your system with the H100. According to FrostyTech's benchmarks, it is one of the top-5 heatsinks on the market. However, that performance comes with a noticeable compromise on acoustics. It is LOUD: 43.6 dB on LOW, and 59.2 dB on HIGH!
    Unfortunately I already bought the H100 from a friends recommendation about them being really good, looking back at this however I should of bought the Noctua cooler as it would of been a far better option for me.

I was thinking of replacing the standard H100 fans with Twin Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans to reduce sound levels, does anyone know if these will be good enough? or should I buy 4 of these and push/pull on each side of the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbak86 View Post
    You're sending some confusing signals regarding budget. LOL.
    I just wanted to set myself a limit so I dont go crazy buying things because I know what I am like when it comes to buying things... Before I know it this whole endeavour will cost me 4-5K and I will have to explain to a very unhappy gf why I am digging into money I am suppose to be saving for Christmas holiday overseas. hahaha.

So I figured 1.4K roughly would be a good (safe) amount that I can get away with. :P
    Last edited by Profeus; 10-16-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danjw View Post
    If you are looking at keeping the system as quiet as possible, then you should consider liquid cooling for the graphics cards as well. Though, it can get very expensive, if that is an issue. I expect the loudest part of the system will be the graphics card fans.
    Does anyone know if there are water cooling units similar to the H100 that are designed only for the graphics cards that would fit on the GTX 680?

I was looking at the Corsair AX 1200i or the Corsair AX 1200 to use for my PSU.

Do you guys think the voltage regulation features of the AX 1200i would be beneficial to me to make sure that I dont run into issues with over volting the systems components?

Has anyone got experience with Corsair Link? What are peoples thoughts here about it?

the quiet edition fans move 38cfm @ 23 dBA and the standard fans moves 62cfm @ 35 dBA.. I would look at getting 2 more standard fans, with a push/pull setup, the fans ain't under as much load so they should be quieter and the RPM will be far from MAX @ idle so quieter again.. where the quiet edition fan would be a lot closer to MAX rpm with less airflow, they will be a bit quieter, but not by that much, is it worth the loss in performance..

Quote Originally Posted by Nackers View Post
    the quiet edition fans move 38cfm @ 23 dBA and the standard fans moves 62cfm @ 35 dBA.. I would look at getting 2 more standard fans, with a push/pull setup, the fans ain't under as much load so they should be quieter and the RPM will be far from MAX @ idle so quieter again.. where the quiet edition fan would be a lot closer to MAX rpm with less airflow, they will be a bit quieter, but not by that much, is it worth the loss in performance..
    Honestly if it means my gf lets me use the computer longer then the quieter the better... I was thinking that if i used 4 x SP120 Quiet fans then it would make up for losing 2 more powerful fans. But I could be wrong...

My main issue is if taking away the stock fans and replacing with the SP120's if they are going to keep the CPU cool enough when I overclock the 3930K to 4.5GHz...

Quote Originally Posted by Profeus View Post
    Does anyone know if there are water cooling units similar to the H100 that are designed only for the graphics cards that would fit on the GTX 680?
    I don't believe there is such a thing as a closed loop system for graphics cards. I honestly don't know how loud the 680s get. They do have lower Thermal Design Power (TDP) then the 580s. So they might not be an issue. You might look to see if there are any 3 slot cards that have custom coolers on them (rather than the Nvidia one). Not sure how that would work with your SLI plans, though. Something like the Asus GTX680-DC2-2GD5

The Sandy Bridge-E CPUs have higher TDP than the Ivy Bridge CPUs so there will be more heat to dissipate. If noise is a real issue here, you may want to reconsider the 2011 platform. Honestly for gaming you aren't going to be CPU bound.
    Last edited by danjw; 10-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

my 680s are EVGA SC Signatures, (blower type fans) they aren't that loud even when under load... bud i do keep my machine under my desk and my case is a tank. (cosmos 2 ultra). Anyway for me noise hasn't been a problem at all.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by Profeus View Post
    I was thinking of replacing the standard H100 fans with Twin Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans to reduce sound levels, does anyone know if these will be good enough? or should I buy 4 of these and push/pull on each side of the radiator.
    I've read some reviews about them and they're quite popular with the H100. Other popular 120mm radiator fans( I've seen on several boards) include the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, NZXT Performance fans or something along those lines, and I don't really remember the other one but they're from Nexus. lol

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast