cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videocard Thermal Paste

RazorCat
Level 10
Good Day Everyone....

I want to know from you who are better than me...

Is it Okay to replace the stock thermal paste of a videocard?

my GPU is a year old and a half now... I wanted to clean it inside and maybe replace the old thermal paste..
I do have a Noctua NT-H1 TIM here...

advices will be greatly appreciated
thanks.. 🙂
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H
7 REPLIES 7

TenBlade
Level 11
Hi. Wouldn´t use paste as such, but thermal tape. I once fitted a tri-fan on an EVGA GTX 260, got some thermal tape for that. When peeling off the heatsink you´ll probably encounter some plastic like material that is easily removed, and it´s rather thick, when compared to how thin you spread the paste onto the cpu. It may be, that the heatsink doesn´t make proper contact if you only apply a thin layer of paste. I replaced the material with an almost gel-like tape, that I spread across all the components, the uniform thickness of the tape ensures proper contact with the heatsink. You may want to look into additional cooling of components, I found that the heatsink didn´t cool certain elements that would benefit from cooling. So I went and got small single heatsink elements, but ended up using thermal glue, to make them stick. Don´t rely on the preapplied adhesive. They go upside down when you fit the card, and you hate to hear that tiny "clunk" of a piece of metal falling off your board...
But the GTX 260 is a long time ago, things may be different now. But, open it up carefully, take a look. And don´t throw away the factory applied contact material right away, the impressions on it tell you which components need the contact, can get confusing when you look at a lot of small surfaces in different levels. I´d photo document the progress, the pic.s might help if you´re in doubt about what finally goes where.
I also used the tape for my old Striker II mobo to put on the MOSFETS after tinkering with the heatpipes. Good stuff.

Let us know how you progress, you could post some pictures 😉

Bjorn

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
RazorCat wrote:
Is it Okay to replace the stock thermal paste of a videocard?

Yes that's OK and might even reduce your load temperatures a bit. The Noctua thermal paste is very good. I have done this on my card. Just be careful doing it....:) Make sure you are not breaking any "warranty void if removed" seals......

RazorCat
Level 10
there is no more shop warranty sir Arne, its over a year already... 😄

i will disassemble my vcard in the weekend...
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ohhh! really? I guess we're pampered here....... two year minimum guarantee....anyhow, so you can go for it !! 😉

RazorCat
Level 10
Sir Arne, here in the Philippines its only 1 year warranty on the PC shop.. there's distro i think...

RazorCat
Level 10
done cleaning my video card... I applied new thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1) and I did put some oil on the fan..

Temps are still the same on Idle but I saw improvements when its operating at load... Temps lowered at 8-10C when im Gaming..

fan noise was eliminated by putting oil on the fan bearing...
Im Happy.. lol.. 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool beans!! Yes, that's how it should work...more noticeable at higher temps.:)