cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK7 Having issues need help...Please...

VeparS
Level 7
Hey ROG community hope ya day is better then mines lol

Ok well for the record if any Asus mods reading this I LOVE your products but I really feel Asus did me wrong on this one.:mad:

My laptop just out of warranty two months ago...sad part is I think my cpu or mobo is done for. The system boots up, I can enter bIOS, run lightweight DOS based programs from CD but ANYTHING that puts a slight load on my system it crashed...I managed to disable 2 cores on my windows desktop it ran fine for 2 days now it wont boot into windows, linux or any os.

Memtest: No Errors
HWinfo: All temps within 40c maybe go up to 50c while doing task.....notice the voltage would jump up and down even while idle.

Hirens Boot CD: I can't get non of the software to run, even on USB stick.

When the laptop used to boot it would throw out BSOD codes:

0x0000101
0x0000124
0x000009c

Asus support told me to send it in but it may run me 156USD+ for fix....:(

The mobo has NO blown capacitors, no damaged MOSFITS, no leaks nothing...the system runs cool, fans turn on everything.

Latest BIOS 203 updated
Windows was updated

Linux Mint barely past installation but at end it say : Kernal Panic codes 0x8c and 0x60 it pointed to ACPI and Secondary processor. IM really leaning towards faulty cpu...but this laptop just past a year old I really feel like I got ripped off....I do not want to dish out another $1500 for a gaming laptop.....:(
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you test your SSD or HDD to confirm the filesystem was sound?

How did you run memtest86+?

How did you disable 2 cores of your CPU?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Did you test your SSD or HDD to confirm the filesystem was sound?

How did you run memtest86+?

How did you disable 2 cores of your CPU?

Hey thanks for help...

I swaped out my SSD for an HDD same problems. Ran chdsk and tested both drives they are fine I can install OS on both of them on my other machines.

I removed all sticks except one from the laptop and tested each stick on each bank no errors. I let it run for 4 hrs each stick and bank. I broke night performing test....

I disabled the cores from windows start up and went into computer>manage> device manager and disabled 4 threads (I assume two cores) and it ran fine after that for 2 days then it stop booting to windows. Before I did this I was receiving those BSOD errors.

dstrakele
Level 14
The Bugcheck codes you report certainly do appear to be most likely related to a hardware problem and do point at the processor. The prognosis is not good since you report the BSOD's occurred before you maide changes to processor configuration.

dstrakele wrote:
The Bugcheck codes you report certainly do appear to be most likely related to a hardware problem and do point at the processor. The prognosis is not good since you report the BSOD's occurred before you maide changes to processor configuration.

I agree...I really want to get as much input and help before I decide to dish out 299USD for a new cpu on newegg. Is it possible to drop an i5 that matches the i7 specs on this thing? or is the BIOS programmed only to recognize i7's?

I don't have spare i7 2630qm to test (I wish I did) Anyone know where I can buy this same chip for less then 300???? Im desperate need this thing for work and my games.

EDIT: I looked at Asus website it does show i5 2410m.....so any info on finding these cpu's would be great help!

I have read about others dropping in fasters i7's (even up to the 2960XM) into their G74 with success..I would think that the BIOS should not be hardcoded to accept only i7s...though I have never encountered anyone downgrading to an i5 in there??? As long as the CPU is the same socket any upgrade/downgrade in CPU should work.
Why not just get another 2630QM? New retail and OEM ones are all over ebay @$160 and up.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

dstrakele
Level 14
Consider also posting your issue at http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/ to maximize your chances for feedback.

fostert
Level 12
Does it behave the same way on battery power as on AC?

Just throwing this out there too...ACPI controls, among other things, thermal management. And the fact that disabling 2 of the cores had an effect makes me suspicious of heat problems. Perhaps the laptop got jarred and the heatsink is no longer making good/any contact with the CPU die (I believe in laptops its a direct HS-to-silicon contact bridged by thermal paste). You would not believe how fast these things will overheat if there is no way for the heat to escape. Just to make sure its not a heat issue, try seeing if the thing will boot and/or stay stable longer in a chilled room. Here in Canada thats easy...just open the window in winter. Otherwise, chill the laptop with an air conditioner and boot in an AC'ed room...does it last longer?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

cl-scott
Level 12
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was shopping around a little internally to see what I might be able to arrange. I'm able to offer you a reduced OOW fee of $100 VeparS. So if that works for you, then you can send me an email or PM with your particulars. Full name, full postal address, email, phone number, and unit SN. I'll then go about setting up an RMA for you at the reduced rate.