cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Guide: Installing GPU Cooling Fan in side panel

MonsterMawd
Level 12
One of our customer sent us their Cooler Master Cosmos case to install a 120mm cooling fan and grill in their access side panel. Here are the steps we took in performing this case mod with a Greenlee Knockout Punch, but you can use this guide with 4.5" Hole Saw attachment on your Power drill or Drill press.

List of Tools We
Power drill or Drill Press
Greenlee Knockout Punch with 120mm cutting blade, but you can use your own 4.5" Hole saw Attachment
Measuring Square or Ruler
Pencil or Pen
Painter's Masking Tape
Center hand punch
X-acto Knife
3/16" drill bit for fan screw mounting holes.
Mouse Sander for removing adhesive residue from the sound insulation foam.
Phillips Screwdriver
"SEM brand Self Etching" Primer
Plastikote's Silver "Engine Enamel" automotive aerosol paint.
4x 8/32 Thread x 5/8" Length Socket Machine Screws
1x 120mm Wire Fan Guard
1x Black 120mm Round Hole fan grill
4x #10 x 5/8 self tapping fan screws

Our customer marked off the 120mm GPU Cooling fan hole location for us, with low tack masking tape.

1x 120mm Wire Fan Guard

Using a 12" measuring Square and 120mm Wire Fan Guard to mark the fan hole location.

Using hand center punch to mark the center of the grill location. This is for the 1" diameter Hole Saw attachment pilot drill bit.

At this point, you can use a 4.5" Hole Saw Attachment on a Power Drill or Drill Press to make the 120mm fan hole.

The 1" opening allows us to insert the shaft of the Greenlee Knockout Punch blade.

Using X-acto Knife to cut square shape in sound insulation foam on backside of the panel.

I used a Black & Decker Mouse Sander to remove the adhesive residue left by the insulation foam.

To save time, we use a Greenlee Knock out Punch at Mnpctech.com. Greenlee part # 730EBB-120. Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states + Large 3/4" socket wrench, and 2" socket. I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench. Estimated purchase price of $550 new.

Crank and tighten the socket wrench to cut through the panel.

Using 3/16" drill bit to make fan screw mounting holes.

The advantage of using a Greenlee knockout punch is that the cut is clean! No need to clean up jagged edges.

I painted this Black http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Custom_FanGrill.html
120mm Round Hole fan grill with Plastikote's Silver "Engine Enamel" automotive aerosol paint.

4x 8/32 Thread x 5/8" Length Socket Machine Screws

The 120mm cooling fan and grill installation looks clean and professional!
7 REPLIES 7

MonsterMawd
Level 12
This Cosmos grained aluminum panel look so nice. It served as a great canvas to compare how our machined aluminum 120mm grills look.

Heres how the panel looks with 120mm "Turbo" machined aluminum fan grill

Retired
Not applicable
I like it, I am just not brave enough to do it and I don't have the tools

Maybe a friend or relative can help you Ginger?

The panel with 120mm "Nautilus" machined aluminum fan grill

xeromist
I'm sure that PCJunkie or I could pop a hole in a panel for him in no time if that's all that's needed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Haha for sure!!:)
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

MonsterMawd
Level 12
no doubt! hehe

WolfSoul
Level 7