cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy G series 15inch laptop but can not decide. HELP!

sabakvavilashvi
Level 7
So I decided to buy G series laptop but its just soo messed up that I don't know what to do. I was looking for G53SX but when I enter the Asus site go to laptops and G53SX in the specifications part there are 2 models of processors 2630 and 2410 so therefore there must be 2 different "submodels" of this laptop but when I google G53SX I find that there like dozens of "submodels" and also some of them has 2670 processor which is not written on the Asus site. Like if you search G53SX it has TH71, DH71, AH71, A1 and this list goes on and on. Can anyone tell me how many of this "submodels" this model has? I called Asus support and asked to tell me specifications of each "submodels" but they did not have that information then I asked them to tell me all the "submodels" that existed and they did not have that information either. Also Asus site says that G53SX has 3D but they don't say which models have that 3D they are talking about.
The specifications for laptop I want are:
CPU - I7
RAM - 8 gigs
HDD - 750 or more @7200rpm
GPU - GTX560M
Display - Full HD and 3D if possible with Full HD
and I don't know which model has this kind of specifications.
PLEASE HELP! Thanks 🙂
20 REPLIES 20

Gorman
Level 12
Don't buy a 53. Go for a 55 instead. G53's are notorious for their high failure rate - it's not worth the trouble of repairs every few months. Get a 55.

A G55VW has everything you need - http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G55VW/#specifications

Your seller will be able to customize CPU, RAM, HDD, etc if anythign is undersirable.

I don't know what the difference between [J/V/S][W/X]
All I know is an SX is heavier than a SW, which is heavier than a JW. Though I'm not sure why...

Gorman wrote:
Don't buy a 53. Go for a 55 instead. G53's are notorious for their high failure rate - it's not worth the trouble of repairs every few months. Get a 55.

A G55VW has everything you need - http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G55VW/#specifications

Your seller will be able to customize CPU, RAM, HDD, etc if anythign is undersirable.

I don't know what the difference between [J/V/S][W/X]
All I know is an SX is heavier than a SW, which is heavier than a JW. Though I'm not sure why...

Thanks for your answer. Can you tell me what kind failures are you talking about? Because I was going to buy G53-TH71 but now I think I will buy G55. Asus site does not have the specifications detailed. They just write the list of parts with which this model is available but they don't say which "submodel" has which specification. I mean for example G55VW-ES71 has 500gigs of hdd and G55VW-RS71 has 750gigs of hdd and Asus site does not have that list that will display what model has what specification. So that's why I am confused. Now I think I found model that fits my demands best. It's G55VW-RS71 which has
core i7 3610 @2.2ghz
8gigs of ram @1600mhz
750gigs of hdd @7200rpm
gtx660 2gb
So yeah I think I will get this one.

ASUS doesn't update their website very often, and the difference is minimal. The various versions of the G53SX are labeled based upon RAM&HDD (I've really never seen the i5 variant) and the seller. E = Newegg, R = Microcenter, etc.

The G53SX is a little thicker, but it has two fans (better cooling) and 2 2.5" HDD slots. Otherwise, get the G55.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
ASUS doesn't update their website very often, and the difference is minimal. The various versions of the G53SX are labeled based upon RAM&HDD (I've really never seen the i5 variant) and the seller. E = Newegg, R = Microcenter, etc.

The G53SX is a little thicker, but it has two fans (better cooling) and 2 2.5" HDD slots. Otherwise, get the G55.

Yeah it's very messed up there. Wait, does not the G55 have 2 2.5HDD slots?

EDIT: I checked G55 it does not have 2 HDD slots 😞 I really wanted to have 2 HDD-s.

It has an mSata and a 2.5" HDD. mSata SSDs are slower and cost more, but take up a lot less space. G53SX runs great (hence my sig), and you may be able to find it online, I don't know.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Zygomorphic wrote:
It has an mSata and a 2.5" HDD. mSata SSDs are slower and cost more, but take up a lot less space. G53SX runs great (hence my sig), and you may be able to find it online, I don't know.

So you would pick G53SX? I really don't know what to do. If G55 had 2hdd slots I would pick that without thinking but that just keeps me more towards G53SX. I don't know I just can not decide that easily because its not a cheap thing and I want to get maximum out of what I have.

sabakvavilashvili wrote:
Can you tell me what kind failures are you talking about?

The power pin on most G53's breaks every 3 or so months.

If you don't plan to use your laptop for gaming or anything intensive, then it should be fine. But when used for any kind of intensive task the power pin will melt, and the stresses caused by the badly designed socket + poor chinese workmanship will cause the pin to snap off. The socket is connected to the motherboard, so to fix it they have to replace the entire motherboard. Usual turn around time for this repair is between weeks and months (minimum time is 1 week, maximum I've seen is 3 months - they had to wait on parts).

Mine broke every 3 months for the first 15 months, but it has only broken once this year!

I would recommend not buying a G53.

Gorman wrote:
The power pin on most G53's breaks every 3 or so months.

If you don't plan to use your laptop for gaming or anything intensive, then it should be fine. But when used for any kind of intensive task the power pin will melt, and the stresses caused by the badly designed socket + poor chinese workmanship will cause the pin to snap off. The socket is connected to the motherboard, so to fix it they have to replace the entire motherboard. Usual turn around time for this repair is between weeks and months (minimum time is 1 week, maximum I've seen is 3 months - they had to wait on parts).

Mine broke every 3 months for the first 15 months, but it has only broken once this year!

I would recommend not buying a G53.

I plan using it for gaming so yeah, that means it will melt :D. That's a huge disadvantage. I don't understand why does it melt when the laptop has such good cooling system? Is the laptop getting hot itself or is it only the pin? Also does Asus replace motherboard for free? Actually that does not matter to me because I live in Georgia and here is no official Asus store. So I will have to send it in US to get it repaired. So yeah I don't want that kind of thing to happen to me. I'm getting G55VW-DS71 or RS71. DS71 has 12gigs of ram and comes with mouse and bag and RS71 just has 8gigs of ram and does not come with mouse and bag. I think I will get RS71 because I don't really need that mouse and bag and 12gigs is too much to. Thanks everybody for your help. You really helped me to make a good decision. I really appreciate that :).

@sabak, glad to help! Especially glad to know the help was helpful and appreciated! 🙂 Stick around and help out in the notebook forums please! 🙂