cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

- Phoebus Sound Problem - (Everything sounds 2 Pitch Lower)

alvink
Level 7
Hi all,
First of all I wanted to say that my experience with Xonar Phoebus sound card is Great!! I didn't have any problems until a few days ago when I unplugged my headphones from the Phoebus Link Box. After I unplugged the headset the audio started to play from my speakers, which is normal. Then I noticed that the everything sounded 2 pitch lower, the audio sounded muddy and awful.

I went into the Phoebus software and thought that maybe the Xear SingFx pitch option had been adjusted automaticly. I found that it wasn't switched on. So then I enabled it and pitched up my audio 2 stops to compensate. The audio sounded closer to the original audio but it had alot of distortion.

Things I tried:
- Uninstalled the Asus Phoebus software from programs manager
- Uninstalled the Asus Phoebus from Device manager
- Uninstalled the Hardware Phoebus Card and reinstalled it
- Rebooted
- Installed the latest drivers from Asus website.
- Rebooted again

Everything is still playing 2 pitches lower and everything sounds awful.
On a side note I know it's not my speakers or headset because everything sounds normal when I use my on-board sound card. I'm currently running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have been a Asus user for a while now and my current Asus hardware are: Asus Xonar Phoebus , Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II Top, ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe ATX

I hope Asus won't disappoint me with their staff support.

Any suggestions or solutions are welcome,
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Raja
Level 13
I am not Technical Support but here goes:

When you say sounds awful - what is happening to the sound? Distortion, cutting out or something else?

If it is distortion or cut-outs, try removing the the control box and see if it persists just as a debug.

Either way, I think you should contact the support an see if they suggest an RMA:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4805-ASUS-US-amp-Canada-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

did you changed your sample speed to 44.1 ?
i know that changing samplespeed is pitching the sound
another bug that needs to be solved

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I am not Technical Support but here goes:

When you say sounds awful - what is happening to the sound? Distortion, cutting out or something else?

If it is distortion or cut-outs, try removing the the control box and see if it persists just as a debug.

Either way, I think you should contact the support an see if they suggest an RMA:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4805-ASUS-US-amp-Canada-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

Hi Raja,
The audio is pitching down so everything sounds like an effect of a lowered voice. The distortion in the audio sounds much like clipping. This only happens only when I try and pitch up the audio using Phoebus software to compensate for the problem. I have tried un-plugging the Control box as well. The problem is still there. I might have to RMA it, but I hope that it is only a glitch in the software.

KILLER_K
Level 10
This is what I received from Asus about the sample rate. Just struck me odd and also disappointed me at the same time. Thanks

Dear Killer K,

As most game developer are still making 44.1K/16bit or 48K/16bit audio, we will suggest you to use the default sample rate. The sample rate feature in Xonar audio center is not designed for upsampling.

Best,

ASUS Xonar product team

I honestly feel like I was let down by Asus on this one. I'm thinking about just returning the sound card and turning away from Asus's products at this point and time. This is just how I feel honestly at this point and time with Asus. As I feel the product I bought doesn't work correctly 100%. If the card cannot upsample to these setting, then why are they there to choose?

i know what you feel :S

i had the D2X before the phoebus and on the D2x atleast it was working and not pitching down your sound
so much money for a card thats not even working correctly running on beta drivers and 50% functional
i am probaly gonna be banned soon of all the negativity i have maybe but the truth has to come out

KILLER_K wrote:
This is what I received from Asus about the sample rate. Just struck me odd and also disappointed me at the same time. Thanks

I honestly feel like I was let down by Asus on this one. I'm thinking about just returning the sound card and turning away from Asus's products at this point and time. This is just how I feel honestly at this point and time with Asus. As I feel the product I bought doesn't work correctly 100%. If the card cannot upsample to these setting, then why are they there to choose?

Hi Killer_K,
Thanks for your input and insight to things. I have tried every combination of the sample rate / bit rate and the Lower Pitch Audio problem is still there. I currently have it back on 44.1 / 16bit. I agree that if they put the feature in there then it should work 100%, don't put a feature in there and then later on tell your customers that it doesn't work...

KILLER_K
Level 10
I wouldn't think Asus would drop to that kind of low. Just to ban someone from posting their opinion about a product. Not to mention sharing your problems and thoughts with others in here having issues with the sound card. To me the best support is other users with a good forum.

I removed the post all together now. As it seems now the thread is derailing to what I posted. I apologize to the op for derailing the thread. Thanks

cx-ray
Level 12
I got the sample rate at 48/24 basically all of the time. I haven't heared any sound degradation when changing it to something else, even when the source doesn't match.

* Before you say anything, most headphones are 5.1/7.1 now.

No offense, but if you care about sound quality you shouldn't be using those types of headphones. Even for gaming, properly simulated 3D sound through 2 speaker headphones is the best that you can expect.

cx-ray wrote:

No offense, but if you care about sound quality you shouldn't be using those types of headphones. Even for gaming, properly simulated 3D sound through 2 speaker headphones is the best that you can expect.

I didn't say which was better. As that is a whole different thread. I just stated it should have these if people needed them on the break out box. I'm very happy with my AD700's myself. But again what sounds good to me, might sound bad to another person. As each person's hearing is different from another persons. That is why I left it as "most headphones are 5.1/7.1 now".

Hopefully the OP can return the card and try another one at this point and time. Then it will let him know if it was the card or software issue. Thanks