cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 backlight mod

bignazpwns
Level 11
Ok so some people want to know how to do this.

First off this is not east. This was the worst backlight i ever had to replace. It's worse then working on a Macbook and that's saying a lot.

Right now i'm looking for some brighter back light options as it should not be hard to find one that will work. I'll post part numbers when i find one.

As for getting to the back light you will need to remove a total of 82 screws.....Yes 82. The first 26 you remove from the bottom will allow you to remove the top assembly. Don't forget to disconnect your 5 ribbon cables. Lift the tabs up and they slide out but they do break easy. After that you will have a total of 56 screws to remove the keyboard from the unit and to remove the back from the keyboard. Then you will have some rivets that you will need to cut out. As for a replacement i just used small little hot glue caps. To change the color just put any color film between the backlight and the keyboard then reassemble and test.

I'm not going to make a step by step guide for this as this is not easy to do. Leaving the optical drive and harddrives in that's 82 screw. If you remove them then your up to 88.

Im in the process of the fallowing

-printable temples that will show you where to cut as well as provide zones for diff colors. Use a printer and a overhead projector film and just print it out and your good to go after you trim it.

-upgraded backlights that provide brighter lighting "I will need to check not only comparability but current draw to make sure its not to damage the system in any way so this may take a week or two.

I really wish Asus went easy on the screw's in this thing. 56 on just the keyboard is excessive and added to the overall cost of the laptop i dont know if they got someone from Nvidia's heatsink engineer staff over there but whoever set this up has a unhealthy obsession with screws.

When i get into backlight testing i'll take some pictures and color code some screws. but just be warned keep track of your screws and dont strip any out. 82 is a lot of them. Also just for S's and G's i'll go ahead and do a full screw count in the system since its going to be well over 100 and then i'll weight them to see how much weight it adds to the system lol. But rest assured that your keyboard will never come apart.
25 REPLIES 25

freefall
Level 7
That is some heavy duty real s**t you got there going 😄
That seems interesting though. I'll be waiting for the followup. 🙂

c_man
Level 11
I've seen tha keyboard of G75 and I feel that it is just too much work to be done and not worth it at all.

c_man wrote:
I've seen tha keyboard of G75 and I feel that it is just too much work to be done and not worth it at all.

Yeah i mean 82 screws is just way way way to much. 1/2 way i wanted to give up. I dont know if they just wanted to use a excessive amount of screws in this thing so people wont open it up because i'll tell you they do make you wanna not do anything on it.

ushhh
Level 7
Did u end up doing the back light mod
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi

Pitcher1
Level 9
it is refit, when you disassembly laptop to refit somehting, it would be happen unpredictable things, so asus does not agree do it.

Cyrax
Level 7
asus sucks ass

Cyrax wrote:
asus sucks ass

You do know you have the option not to buy Asus products? Don't like em, Don't buy em

Cyrax wrote:
asus sucks ass

Your certainly entitled to your opinion. I for one love Asus. Love thier laptops, love thier Mobo's, and my next GPU is probably going to be Asus.

Back on topic. Great guide, alot of work but I have seen alot of people asking for this so well done. 🙂

Guido7142
Level 7
Is there any progress ?
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M