Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Guido7142's Avatar

Yesterday I tried to do this mod and found a problem, as all G75 owners know, the entire top pannel comes out (along with touchpad and the upper section where the power button is and so on), but could not find a way to separate the keyboard itself from the pannel. There are some black screws that I was able to take off and there were other silver ones that had such a tiny screwing diameter that with the tools I had I could not remove. The problem relies that if I manage to get those silver ones out, there are still dozens of plastic retainers (that are part of that big upper pannel) that from what I saw, the only way to unhook them is by breaking them. Any suggestions ?

You can see them at minute 8:00 of this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA
    Last edited by Guido7142; 04-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

maybe you don't need to take the keyboard off. you're wanting to tint the backlight color, right?

you might be able to seperate the led light panel from the keyboard.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I just blow the flames out and keep playin'....

Quote Originally Posted by grungeboy View Post
    maybe you don't need to take the keyboard off. you're wanting to tint the backlight color, right?

you might be able to seperate the led light panel from the keyboard.
    To separate them you must first take off the keyboard. I want to do the well know placing of a color film between the leds and the keys. Just as everyone has done with the G73.

what kind of film do u put in there
    G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi

I am still not able to separate the keyboard from the upper pannel. Once I manage to somehow do that, I will try to open the keyboard and insert the film.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Guido7142 View Post
    To separate them you must first take off the keyboard. I want to do the well know placing of a color film between the leds and the keys. Just as everyone has done with the G73.
    yeah, i know, i've done it to mine.

i've also done a vent mod

and once i made a USB-powered cardboard laptop cooler.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I just blow the flames out and keep playin'....

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Remember you need to do the cutting i listed. Theres going to be a ton of screws in two sizes. Cut the little tabs and it will come off. You will then need to put it back on and where the tabs were cut i used some RTV sealant to kinda recap it to hold it.

Adding a film will dimm the back light pretty bad if you want a color that dont look to washed out. I changed my LED's. Just a heads up its not easy and using the equipment at my work it took about two hours but its much brighter and now blue. "Post some pics when i can find them i sold this system after the review and mods."

However i did have a mod to give the backlight more power since the system was under powering the LED's. I only tested it a little so not something i will post unless someone who has an electronics background wants to try it. Been testing the same type of mod on the VX but due to the diff. layouts the mod for the VW and VX are pretty diff.

How did you manage to cut those plastic tops ?

Also, I thought that once you had already cut the tops, if you screw everything together again, the keyboard would still be firm in place. Did you feel the need of putting that extra sealant ?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Guido7142 View Post
    How did you manage to cut those plastic tops ?

Also, I thought that once you had already cut the tops, if you screw everything together again, the keyboard would still be firm in place. Did you feel the need of putting that extra sealant ?
    I just used a razer. Prob dont need it but i just wanted to get as close to normal as i could. Super glue is just to hard and wont ever come off. The sealant holds good but you can get it off pretty easy. But putting a film in with the stock LED's is going to result in a extremely dim back light thats borderline unusable because of how dim it gets. Personally i just would not even bother

Where did you get new color leds ? I've never heard of that.

(I have just finished breaking those million plastic tops... it took me the entire Enemy Of The State movie to do so. But I still do not have a propper screwdriver to unscrew those tiny tiny silver screws that release the keyboard)
    Last edited by Guido7142; 04-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast