Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Guido7142 View Post
    Where did you get new color leds ? I've never heard of that.

(I have just finished breaking those million plastic tops... it took me the entire Enemy Of The State movie to do so. But I still do not have a propper screwdriver to unscrew those tiny tiny silver screws that release the keyboard)
    I advise you against doing this as its not worth it.

As for the LED's they are surface mount so unless you know what your doing you wont be able to do it. Keep in my i have everything i need for this at work since i'm an electronics engineer. http://www.digikey.com/ is where i get most of my parts from but for the LED's i just used some we had extra for a product we no longer make.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Guido7142 View Post
    Where did you get new color leds ? I've never heard of that.

(I have just finished breaking those million plastic tops... it took me the entire Enemy Of The State movie to do so. But I still do not have a propper screwdriver to unscrew those tiny tiny silver screws that release the keyboard)
    You don't need to change the LED colors, in fact a much simple way to go about changing their colors is to buy some COLOR plastic film that is the color you want and just cut them to size, you can tape them onto the LED's or glue them on_

Changing the LED's will require some soldering work, really good soldering work especially when everything is so small. If indeed the LED's are surface mount LED's then its not worth un-soldering all those LED's off only to resolder new ones on. Anything surface mount requires really good soldering skills and you got to have good accuracy and be good in working in really small areas.

Its too much work and the end result might be worth it but you can damage something along the way so not worth the risk. Just buy color plastic film and tape it over the LED's

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Guido7142's Avatar

That is what I am going to do. A color that is not too darkened that it could dim the intensity of the lightning but deep enough so as to change the color of the light.
    G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Guido7142's Avatar

Guys, while messing around with the keyboard I managed to break the cable that connects the backlight of the keyboard... Does anyone know a way to fix it or where to buy a replacement ? I don't even know how it is connected to the keyboard.
    G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

i wanted to clear up some misinformation floating around.

there are many different kinds of color film you can buy or use. i've used several different colors, including a red and a blue film.

if the film is too thick, it's going to make the lights too dim. but if it is thin and made to let say 85% of light through, it's going to be fine.

the red i used, in the pic posted earlier, was from a cooking pan i bought at walmart. the red was from a red, clear, plastic lid. the blue i used (which is what i ended up using after cutting it to fit the keyboard section (but not the f keys or numpad, they are white), that was an actual lighting gel i picked up when i was doing set up for a Reba Mcentire show at Bridgestone.

and last, i wouldn't cut out pieces of film and glue them over the lights. that makes for a hard-to-replace mod. i would cut the film to size, then lay it in between the lights and the keyboard. i then used some black vinyl tape around the edges to keep it all together.

on mine, the lights are plenty bright (maybe losing 10% of their original brightness) as i have a numpad that has no film or coloring. it is not noticeably brighter. if you get some film that is too thick, then you could have that problem.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I just blow the flames out and keep playin'....

New ROGer Array

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    Remember you need to do the cutting i listed. Theres going to be a ton of screws in two sizes. Cut the little tabs and it will come off. You will then need to put it back on and where the tabs were cut i used some RTV sealant to kinda recap it to hold it.

Adding a film will dimm the back light pretty bad if you want a color that dont look to washed out. I changed my LED's. Just a heads up its not easy and using the equipment at my work it took about two hours but its much brighter and now blue. "Post some pics when i can find them i sold this system after the review and mods."

However i did have a mod to give the backlight more power since the system was under powering the LED's. I only tested it a little so not something i will post unless someone who has an electronics background wants to try it. Been testing the same type of mod on the VX but due to the diff. layouts the mod for the VW and VX are pretty diff.

I would like to give that a try if you still have data for the backlight power increase mod. I do have electronics exp. As far as the backlight color, I just removed each individual key on my VX keyboard and used a sharpie of my preference to create the background color I wanted. Only took about an hour for all keys. Works great and very crisp but I would like more brightness for low to medium light conditions so the color can show through in the day..
    Last edited by ttawd500hp; 10-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3