cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloned New HDD Won't Boot

TwixBucket
Level 7
I'm just trying to upgrade my harddrive to a bigger and faster one. I'm on an ASUS K55N Windows 7 Home Laptop with 8gb RAM.

I've been going nuts trying to get this to work, so bear with me:

I've updated my BIOS like ASUS tech support told me, and then I recloned the original 500gb Hitachi HDD to my new Seagate Momentus XT 750 gb using an Apricorn USB 3.0 enclosure (with EaseUS software, as the EZ GIG IV software wasn't working for me either).

It completes successfully, I shut down, swap out the drives. Boot up.

It tells me I need the Windows Installation Disc to repair the start up. It's a laptop, so I only have the System Repair Disc that Windows 7 lets me make, and during the cloning process all of the partitions get re-named (which I think is one of the issues) so the recovery partition isn't linked to the proper F key or something. I can't get to it. Also, as a side note, none of the cloned partitions get set to active after cloning.

Okay, so I put in the System Repair Disc, and it brings up the special Asus menu instead of the Windows one. I start it up because I've already made the 4 Asus Recovery DVDs so whatever if it wipes everything at this point.

It gets through 100% of what it needs to do, then it quickly cycles through a few windows and gives me a giant white window with a giant, red, ERROR message.

Makes me hard shut down.

I've tried going into the Disk Management on Windows and setting the newly copied OS partition (now labeled A: ) to active, but that option is greyed out because, well, I don't think Windows recognizes the new Seagate as a separate disk because it's connected by USB.

I've tried using Paragon Recovery Kit through BIOS to activate things, but those are all greyed out too.

I've tried both USB 3 and the USB 2 ports as well, and made sure to format the drive before each cloning attempt.

I've also tried doing the clone with the original HDD in the enclosure and the new one in the laptop, but the EZ GIG IV software freezes after the initial selection of the Source and Destinations disks after BIOS boots up the program.

I've also checked the health of both HDDs and everything is fine.

I'm losing my mind and DO NOT want to have to plop down an extra $200 on a new copy of Windows when all I want to do is upgrade an HDD that's supposed to take very few, very easy steps!

Any help you guys can give me would be rad -- I need to get back to Borderlands 2 asap and would prefer to do it having conquered this problem.
3 REPLIES 3

hsp25
Level 8
Was the copy done via a bootable CD/DVD or USB. I've clone a few disk before but not with this software. All I have seen so far can not do it within windows

Via USB in windows -- for some reason the booted software of EZ GIG IV and EaseUS freezes when it gets to the "select source disk" option.

I've seen some video tutorials of people doing it in Windows, so I figure it can be done that way.

I had the same sequence of events happen when I tried up upgrade the hard drive on my G75 to a 256 gig OCZ Vertex 4. I tried everything that I could think of, including all of the possible solutions I researched on the web. Bios would not recognize the OCZ, but the Win 7 OS would. Unfortunately, the only solution that I could find was to purchase another brand ssd. My research confirmed that there are a lot of these types of issues with OCZ and the G75. After some more research, I bit the bullet and purchased an Intel 520 180 gig ssd $159.00 @ Best Buy). The bios picked it right up and I was able clone my old drive, verify it was aligned properly and it works great and is so much faster. As a side note, I put the OCZ in my old ASUS G50 and it works perfectly. It actually sped it up quite a bit, so I don't have to retire it yet.