cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

00 Code on Maximus V Extreme

amerijuana
Level 7
Just got the Maximus v Extreme a few days ago. Everything's been running great, was playing bf3 for a while today.

Anyway, just several minutes ago, the system says it needed a windows update, so I shut down, and Windows installed a large file then turned off. I turned it back on and none of the peripherals will power and the QCode says 00.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution? Or am I in the infamous asus RMA line now? :S
13 REPLIES 13

hundred percent positive. I checked the q-code table and it said "not used" but I figured it had something to do with the motherboard, not the fact that the q-code is never used.

here's someone with a similar code on this same forum: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16181-Second-dead-Maximus-V-Gene-Q-Code-00

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome, amerijuana, to the ROG Forum!

The Qcode 00 usually means some trouble with CPU... it's not recognized...

Could you share more about your system? The mobo is the MVE... what's the CPU, RAM, PSU? What is your BIOS version?

As a first step I would check the power connections... specially the CPU power ones...

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome, amerijuana, to the ROG Forum!

The Qcode 00 usually means some trouble with CPU... it's not recognized...

Could you share more about your system? The mobo is the MVE... what's the CPU, RAM, PSU? What is your BIOS version?

As a first step I would check the power connections... specially the CPU power ones...

thanks.

i7-3700k CPU
asus maximus v extreme mobo
16gb g skill trident x series 2666 ram
evga gtx 690
twin corsair 240gb ssd's in raid 0
two western digital 2TB hdd's not in raid
corsair h100 cpu cooler
corsair AX1200i PSU

not sure about the bios version, it won't turn on. where can I check that?

Zka17
Level 16
It's not used because it's not recognized... Could you, please, answer my questions? Without those infos can not help...

Zka17
Level 16
Nice hardware you have there! Now just have to get it work... - the CPU actually is a 3770k, right?

With that CPU right now the BIOS version is not so important... the MVE should handle it...

Was your system OC'd when you tried to update the OS? If yes, you should do a Clear CMOS and see if will boot...

Does your fans turn on (on the VGA and case)? Just to be sure that your PSU is still OK... the best would be if you could try a PSU tester... or an another PSU... - but this is the second priority...

The first priority is to be sure that the CPU is correctly installed... uneven pressure by the cooler can cause this Qcode... - so, the best would be if you would reseat the CPU and the cooler, and during the process you would inspect the socket pins for correct alignment...

Yeah it was a typo. It's the i7-3770k.

I actually got it to work. I'll explain so other people know how to do it in the future:

I unplugged the peripherals except for monitor, keyboard and mouse, and disconnected the OC Key. The motherboard then booted and things began turning on. However, everything ran slow. My RAID was switched off, and it was the slowest POST I've ever seen. I reinstated RAID, turned off over clocking, and rebooted. Went back into BIOS, and rearranged the boot priorities. Then I finally got back into Windows system repair and I restored back to a previous point. There were a lot of failed attempts within there too. It took me about an hour and a half to fix.

My new concern is that Windows still wants to update itself. If this was the problem before, then whenever I shut down it's going to demand I do this all over again. Fortunately I made a new restore point before I shut down, but it's currently installing the update as I type (I'm on my laptop).

Does anyone know how to tell Windows NOT to update? In case I have to do this all over again? 😕

Zka17
Level 16
You can select that Windows would only notify you but won't install automatically...

As a general rule (works for me), when installing updates or new applications, do it on stock settings... or be very very sure that your OC is stable! Pay special attention to the memories... run Memtest86+ after changing the settings of the RAM...

well it didn't give me the 00 code but it decided that it is going to slow down to a crawl. Currently it's "applying update operation" on the windows boot screen and it's going to be doing this all night it seems. It's has to apply 78,397 updates and it's only on number 1,000 and it's been about 10 minutes. :mad: