cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh black screen no bios post

Switcher
Level 7
Was reformatting my desktop and trouble shooting it by looking info up on my desktop. Thought it could be windows disk so popped it in my laptop and restarted my laptop. All the blue lights kicked on, and fans and hard drive felt like it was spinning but the screen was blank. I took out the disk, and nothing. Unplugged and pulled battery for 10 mins, and nothing. Thinking maybe video card? I would assume I would need a whole new mother board. Right now I got a $1800 paper weight.
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, does it display any video on startup?

Did you observe any video issues or overheating prior to reinstalling Windows on your G73? In other words, why did you decide to reinstall Windows?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I was reformatting my DESKtop at the time because I got a new SSD. Before I have had problems with my laptop freezing, the screen and all lights would be on but the hard drive light would go out. Sound would freeze, everything, at random. So I reformatted my LAPtop and it ran great without install all of the Asus drivers and such. Ran great with no freezes for about 2 months. Then out of the blue while reformatting my desktop I tested the windows cd in my laptop because I was getting an error on my desktop. It never came back on after the reboot.
Sorry if I confused you in the first post.
Plugged it into a monitor and nothing 😞

dstrakele
Level 14
Switcher wrote:
Was reformatting my desktop and trouble shooting it by looking info up on my desktop.

I've never been able to browse on my desktop while installing Windows 7 to it, so I was somewhat confused. I figured you meant to say you were "reformatting [your] laptop...".

What is the origin of the Windows 7 installation DVD?

Sorry about that I was typing on my phone.
I had problems with the windows disk detecting my hard drives after installing a new SSD in my desktop. I put the cd in my laptop to verify it wasn't the cd when it never even POST Bios.

The cd was downloaded from DreamSpark through my college. I ended up redownloading another copy and was able to install windows on my desktop and everything is fine. But for some freak reason my laptop is black screen.
Don't figure it would have to do with the disk since it never even showed a POST?

Any way to test the GPU/Mother Board?

dstrakele
Level 14
I was curious if the Windows 7 install disk was a Trojan that actually attempted to modify your BIOS and failed, leaving your laptop in its current unusable state.

The behavior you describe would indicate your VGA has died or has become unseated. Or the memory in slot 1 is defective or unseated.

If you unplug, remove the battery and any peripherals, hold down the Power On button for 30 seconds, then plug in and start the laptop, do you get video? If so, it could indicate defective capacitors.

Nope nothing, I would assume it's dead VGA but will tear it apart tomorrow and see if anything is loose. Can the VGA become unseated if it's integrated into the motherboard? Assuming I would need a new mother board, got any reputable sites you would recommend? I would love to repair it if possible for a few hundred bucks, if not I guess it's time to start shopping 😞

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Switcher wrote:
Can the VGA become unseated if it's integrated into the motherboard?

Not likely...

dstrakele
Level 14
Switcher wrote:
Can the VGA become unseated if it's integrated into the motherboard?

Not likely... But take a look at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-(.