cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with my first gaming laptop G73JH-BST7

Retired
Not applicable
I have been looking around for something to take to college and the most stressful performance I ask out of it would be playing starcraft 2 on ultra. I was just wondering if ASUS G Series G73JH-BST7 (Newegg.com - Recertified: ASUS G Series G73JH-BST7 Notebook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870) would be a good choice for its price. I tried to research as much as I could on it and I read a lot of concerning cons usually talking about the laptop overheating, missing key strokes, something about bad BIOS and VBIOS, and really hard to update the driver for the ATI gfx card.

Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

I know the 5400rpm on the hard drive might seem slow so I am planning to upgrade it to a SSD in the future.

I just wanted to know if this would fit my gaming need (starcraft 2 on ultra) and whether or not the issues such as the overheating...etc.... have been fixed since most of the cons came from reviews in 2010.

Sorry if I sound really ignorant or clueless but I don't really have too much knowledge about laptops or computers in general.

Oh, and very important......how long will this laptop last?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
Oh, and forgot to mention, what do you recommend I should do to tweak and get rid of unnecessary programs when I get it? For example someone told me to get a driversweeper? to make it easier to update the gfx driver from the amd site directly rather than going through ASUS.
Thank you again!

xeromist
Take a look at the stickies in the notebook sub forum here. There are some good guides on drivers as well as the vbios so you can be as informed as possible.

Welcome to the forum 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chastity
Level 10
Update your vBIOS and BIOS first to latest versions.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Don't buy this laptop!!!!!! You will cry because it only crash all the time!!!
I know it, because I have one.